Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy and Government Affairs
POSITION TITLE: Director of Policy and Government Affairs
LOCATION Washington, D.C.
Advocates for Community Health (ACH) is seeking a Director of Government Affairs to help lead its Washington based policy and advocacy strategy and operations. As a 501c4, ACH advocates to meaningfully impact federal public policy by harnessing the effectiveness and structure of forward-leaning community health centers and systems. ACH policy and advocacy is strategic in its design and approach in order to advance the delivery of health care to underserved populations and cultivate new opportunities to achieve health equity in support of patients and communities in need. The Director will be expected to have experience on Capitol Hill and have the skills and relationships to be a key leader of the government affairs function of the organization. The candidate is responsible for participating in, development and execution of government relations strategies. This role requires experience with government and regulatory agencies, political affairs, public policy, grassroots advocacy, management, and industry affairs. The Director of Policy and Government Affairs will be working as part of a policy team and supporting consultants that is led by ACH’s Senior Vice President of Policy and Government Affairs.
• Participate in defining the strategic direction of the organization’s policy and advocacy objectives and the investments necessary to achieve those objectives.
• Contribute in a way to achieve high impact Organization-approved goals.
• Carry out tasks to develop, grow and maintain an influential position for the organization impacting federal public policy initiatives.
• Develop strategic direction and tactics to advance ACH priorities and federal policy agenda working closely with Ally organization executives; drive consensus-building efforts with Allies and within the organization.
• Work collectively and on an individual basis to develop strategies and related workplans to achieve ACH’s goals.
• Interface with external consultants achieve established advocacy goals.
• Assist SVP of P&GA to create/implement an influential stakeholder outreach program to support the CEO in promoting the organization’s strategic objectives with top subject matter expert leaders.
• Support the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of ACH.
• Anticipate emerging government, public, or community/social issues of importance and position ACH to address those issues.
• Represent ACH on leading coalitions poised to impact and drive the organization’s policy objectives.
• Assist in the development and execution of a political giving strategy, including but not limited to the development of a connected Political Action Committee.
• Develop working relationship with key leaders and policy makers, including but not limited to elected and appointed legislative and congressional staff; administrative and regulatory officials and staff, and other leaders in the federal executive and legislative branches, with a key focus on those with jurisdictional influence over health care funding, coverage, access and development.
• Focus on driving strong and deep public policy analysis and research working closely with the SVP of P&GA; participate in partnerships with stakeholders to advance ACH’s value proposition and thought leadership positioning.
• Contribute to making policies, strategies, processes and plans for communicating to diverse groups in a clear, strategic, and sensitive professional manner.
• Proactively seek opportunities to provide membership value.
• Assist SVP of P&GA with preparation of presentations to the Board, Allies and other relevant stakeholders to build consensus.
• 7 years of successful leadership experience leading and managing advocacy and public policy teams in a corporate, association, and/or Capitol Hill/Administration setting.
• Leadership experience, the ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
• Exposure to a political strategist, working closely with executive and legislative bodies, agencies, and departments at the state and federal level.
• Ability to work with members in the development of policy positions with the goal of producing aligned agendas that further ACH’s priorities; demonstrated skills in leading consensus-building processes.
• The ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities to achieve a positive outcome.
• Understanding of legislative processes and regulatory programs that impact and its Ally organizations.
• Ability to navigate high-impact and complex situations.
• An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge.
• Outstanding personal communicator with the stature and presence to represent the organization at industry forums and events, legislative arenas with stakeholders, partners, and other trade associations, and a track record of nurturing positive relationships with legislators, administrators, and lobbyists, as well as with senior management.
• The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages at the highest levels of government and business, with a proven track record of delivering high-volume and high-quality work.
• Professional presence and strong verbal, written and public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
• A collaborative style, interactive with the courage and conviction to challenge and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
• Connection to and experience working with or for underserved populations.
• Experience working with HRSA, BPHC, BHW and the Health Center Program strongly preferred.
• Generous PTO plan including paid holidays
• Health, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD and Life Insurance plans offered
• Access to ACH’s 403(b) retirement plan
• Company laptop and cell phone
Apply to This Job
Instructions:Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2022-05-07