Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy and Government Affairs
The Director of Policy and Government Affairs is responsible for helping to elevate and implement Disability:IN’s policy agenda and communicating with key policymakers, stakeholders, the public, and the media about the organization’s work. Disability:IN’s policy agenda is centered around themes of shaping the corporate operating environment, advancing equitable access and opportunity, and enabling participation with a focus on issues including environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria, supplier diversity, self-identification, and self-employment. Effective with incorporating the organizational core values, mission, and D&I focus into Disability:IN’s policy agenda.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing leadership in the ongoing development and implementation of Disability:IN’s policy agenda and strategy.
- Leading Disability:IN’s work to strategically position the organization and our agenda with policymakers and influencers.
- Collaborating with Disability:IN senior leadership to cultivate and build strong relationships with key policymakers and influencers in Washington, DC, and state capitals.
- Managing Disability:IN’s relationships with the Administration, Congress, and regulatory agencies.
- Participating in coalitions and maintaining critical relationships with partner organizations.
- Providing reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on Disability:IN’s advocacy activities.
- Developing and disseminating materials on legislative developments to national partners, policymakers, and the media.
- Conducting or commissioning research as necessary.
- Working closely with third-party partners, consultants, and other thought leader’s organizations to advance public policy goals.
- Drafting written material: op-eds, blog posts, policy proposals, comments on legislation, formal correspondence, and more.
- Aligning policy goals and priorities with the organization’s overall strategic plan.
Education and Experience:
- B.A./B.S. degree in a related field such as public policy, communications, political science, or business.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- The ideal candidate will have experience and established relationships in the ESG space and leverage those to deliver results for Disability:IN and individuals with disabilities in business.
- Broad knowledge of federal policies affecting people with disabilities in the business community.
- Extensive knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes.
- Strong consensus- and coalition-building skills and ability to work collegially and collaboratively with team members, partners, and groups across the political aisle.
- Ability to build relationships with relevant entities (government, trade associations, think tanks, etc.).
- Experience planning relevant events, including conferences, briefings, and webinars.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory language.
- Self-starter with proven ability to manage and lead initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be a leader and team player – able to rally teams around your ideas and drive meaningful progress.
- Proven ability to handle ambiguity in a fast-paced, constantly evolving work environment.
- Ability and willingness to provide a balance of strategy and execution with hands-on management that is detailed and works alongside the team to get things done.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and knowledge of communication principles and practices.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask, with the capacity to meet deadlines with minimal direction.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate flexibility, and juggle multiple and varied job assignments.
- Project management and planning principles and practices.
- An interest in, passion for, and commitment to Disability:IN’s core mission.
- The ability to speak up, contribute observations and ideas and offer foresight about how to best fill gaps and solve problems.
- A personable and professional demeanor, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and communicate effectively with Disability:IN’s constituents.
- A commitment to demonstrating a high level of truthfulness, integrity, reliability, and honesty with work time and responsibilities.
- High tolerance for ambiguity; must be flexible and comfortable with unstructured time.
- Driven, self-motivated, and willing to take the initiative, with a willingness to pitch in when and where needed.
- Must be a team player and collaborate respectfully and inclusively with others across the organization.
- Sound judgment; knowing when to handle or escalate issues to managers and others.
- Agree with and advance Disability:IN’s commitment to a disability and racially diverse workforce.
Work Environment and Travel Requirements:
- Disability:IN is a fully remote organization; employees are expected to operate independently from a home office.
- The preferred location for this position is the Washington, DC area, other locations may be considered.
- Position requires occasional domestic travel, at least 3-5 times a year.
- Occasional night and weekend work may be required.
- This position may have summer interns with a related interest in government affairs, advocacy, or public policy.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary commensurate with experience.
- Future salary adjustments will be based on individual and organizational performance.
- Disability:IN offers generous benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement plan, flex spending accounts and unlimited paid time off.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The Director of Policy and Government Affairs may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Disability:IN is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume, to email@example.com with “Director of Policy and Government Affairs” in the subject line.
Job posted: 2022-05-11