Director of Policy and Government Affairs
Full Job Description
The Director of Policy and Government Affairs provides leadership and direction in the development, coordination and execution of Michigan Primary Care Association’s Public Policy agenda.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Provides leadership to MPCA Policy Activities
- Oversees the planning, development, coordination, and implementation of MPCA’s overall public policy and Advocacy agenda, assuring that MPCA’s mission, priorities and interests are promoted.
- Supervises the Advocacy Manager and ensures the duties and responsibilities of this position supports the MPCA Policy Initiatives.
- Analyzes proposed legislation and regulatory/policy changes and develops policy recommendations.
- Works collaboratively with MPCA staff, subject matter experts and stakeholders to coordinate policy and advocacy action to resolve identified barriers and challenges.
- Monitors, tracks, and prepares informational testimony before committees and/or public hearings consistent with MPCA’s mission and values.
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with policymakers and governmental agencies.
- Participates in coalitions with other advocacy groups and businesses to promote MPCA’s mission, priorities and interests.
- Drafts and submits all regulatory comments at the state and federal level.
- Oversees preparation and submission of required Agency lobbying reports to the State. Also responsible for coordinating submission of the MPCA’s annual report, Program Progress Reports (PPRs), and other required reports as assigned.
- Maintains current knowledge of restrictions and reporting requirements relating to the lobbying efforts of a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization. Assures that MPCA is in compliance with applicable lobbying laws and regulations; takes corrective action as necessary.
2. Actively and regularly engages advocacy stakeholders on state and national policy matters to constructively impact the policymaking process.
3. Staffs and prepares agenda for ongoing meetings with Chief Executive Officer, Health Policy Committee, and external lobbying firm.
4. Participates in administration of the MPCA as a member of the Leadership Team.
5. Assist with grant writing, grant reporting, implementing changes to grant-funded programs and follow-up as required by the grantor and requested by the Chief Executive Officer.
6. Other duties, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to analyze public policy proposals, including the drafting of policy responses.
· Ability to assess problems, determine solutions and make decisions within a timely manner.
· Ability to align goals with the strategic goals of the organization, as well as understand external impacts on internal strategy.
· Ability to consistently demonstrate effective leadership skills.
· Ability to collect, analyze, compile and interpret technical and/or statistical data.
· Ability to tactfully communicate complex and technical information in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Bachelor’s degree program in a public health or policy-related field or relevant combination of work and educational experience.
· 3+ years of experience in policy required, and experience in health policy preferred.
· Experience in policy development and analysis required.
· Experience working with congressional, legislative and executive branch policy-makers and staff.
· Experience in coalition-building and working in a team environment.
· Experience working with associations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-18