Director of Policy, Government Affairs and Markets
Sol Systems is seeking a Director of Policy, Government Affairs and Markets to develop and manage strategic renewable energy and electricity policy initiatives for the Company at the state and local levels.
Sol Systems is a solar finance and development firm that designs and delivers comprehensive procurement and investment solutions for businesses, municipalities, and institutional investors to achieve sustainability goals and community impact. Sol Systems was founded in 2008 and has grown into a national leading integrated platform that includes infrastructure assets, commodity and financial services, customer service and asset management. Sol has over a gigawatt of solar projects with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base.
- External Policy Advocacy – Maintain, enhance, and build awareness for strategic initiatives that will help Sol Systems businesses. Assist in the development, coordination, implementation, and management of policy strategies at the legislative and regulatory level for each business function. Participate and engage in rulemaking and regulatory proceedings through event attendance, coalition building, educational toolkits, the submission of written and oral public testimony, and the arrangement of meetings with key political figures to advocate on behalf of Sol Systems interests.
- Relationship Management – Develop, maintain, and expand relationships with legislative offices, lobbyists, peer-company regulatory affairs professionals, industry associations, environmental groups, and anyone else critical to the policy-making process.
- Regulatory Coverage – Find and retain the best lobbyists and consultants for our needs, and work with them to obtain high quality market intelligence and outcomes that advance Sol Systems and the solar industry’s strategic interests. Help inform business development decisions through on-the-ground regulatory research. Extend and maintain our ability to see pending legislative and regulatory changes in a timely manner and to put them in context.
- Regulatory Analysis – Quantify risks and impacts of proposed or pending regulatory actions and advise and communicate with internal team leads as needed. Assemble analysis into timely, concise, clear, accurate, and well-written reports. Constantly improve communication and collaboration tools to improve information dissemination.
- 7+ years of related experience in a Government Affairs role or in a legislative or regulatory agency staff position; experience in the Northeast, ERCOT, and/or MISO markets is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree; Juris Doctor or master’s degree in policy, environmental, or business field preferred
- Deep understanding of competitive market policies and a strong interest in advancing open, tradable, and competitive market-based solutions for both energy and environmental commodities
- Interest in infrastructure finance, commodity trading, and renewable energy markets
- Ability to connect how policy initiatives impact market fundamentals and project finance economics
- Ability to perform and understand regulatory analysis – finding the “bottom line” for business teams and making appropriate recommendations
- Ability to understand, evaluate, write, and recommend language revisions to legislation or regulations that Sol Systems or its affiliates are tied to
- Ability to review and analyze policy updates and information quickly and provide written analysis or graphic summaries
- Talent for time management and attention to detail, especially for externally prepared materials
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, the Sol Systems team provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for these positions immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-20