New York, NY
ExpandED Schools is a national nonprofit dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched education experiences. In 1998, we were founded as The After-School Corporation. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than four dollars in private and public spending for every dollar of our founding grant. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – seeking to ensure that all kids have opportunities to discover their talents and develop their full potential. We develop scalable and sustainable models that provide more learning time. We:
- EXPAND the school day: We add more time each day to help close the learning gap by up to 450 hours each school year.
- ENGAGE the community: We bring additional passion, talent, child development expertise and role models into the classroom.
- ENHANCE the learning: We balance the curriculum with the arts, movement and personalized hands-on enrichments such as robotics, book clubs, knitting, debate and salsa dance.
The Director, Policy and Government Relations, will play a leading role in developing and advancing ExpandED Schools’ policy agenda to expand learning opportunities for all children. Within the Policy and Research Division and reporting to the Senior Vice President for Policy and Research, the Director will work across departments to develop and implement policy and advocacy strategies to increase the quality, availability and sustainability of expanded learning opportunities at local, state and national levels.
- Develop and lead policy and governmental affairs strategy and implementation.
- Lead ExpandED Schools’ efforts to increase public funds for expanded learning, including discretionary funds.
- Develop, maintain and build on relationships with federal, state, and local government officials (both elected and appointed), including: the New York City Council, Office of the Mayor, Department of Education and Department of Youth and Community Development; and the Office of the New York State Governor, Assembly, and Senate, the State Education Department and the State Office of Children and Family Services.
- Develop, maintain and build on ExpandED Schools’ partnerships with alliances and coalitions throughout the city, state and nation, playing a lead role with groups including the New York City Youth Alliance, the Human Services Council, Network for Youth Success, Campaign for Summer Jobs, and the Campaign for Children.
- Create and coordinate opportunities to promote ExpandED Schools’ work and influence legislation, including meetings, conferences, events, and news articles.
- Design and deliver workshops for ExpandED Schools’ partners on such topics as advocacy, lobbying, appropriations, after-school and expanded learning.
- Collaborate across departments to support organization-wide advocacy efforts.
- Manage advocacy-related grants, as well as contracts and relationships with Government Relations consultants.
- Draft press releases, testimony, web text and articles that advocate for after-school and expanded learning and promote ExpandED Schools’ visibility and influence, particularly within government circles.
- Testify on behalf of the organization at legislative hearings and events.
- Manage organization’s compliance with city and state lobbying requirements. Monitor and report all information regarding campaign finance guidelines.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s Leadership Team.
- Perform other work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years’ experience in public affairs, government relations, and / or legislative staff work required; Master’s degree preferred
- Must have experience with the legislative and budgetary processes, preferably in New York City or State
- Experience working with the New York City Council and the New York State Legislature
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and work as part of a team
- Excellent speaking, writing, and facilitation skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change
- Creative thinking, strong interpersonal skills, the desire to work collaboratively, and a sense of humor
- Competent computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Willingness and ability to travel within New York City frequently and occasional overnight trips
This position requires regular use of public transportation and occasional work in city buildings that may require climbing stairs.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com,
Subject: Director, Policy and Government Relations – [Candidate’s First & Last Name]
No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Learn more here
Job Posted: August 30, 2017