Director of Policy and Research
Launched in 2018, the Groundwork Collaborative is a mission-driven effort to advance an economic vision that delivers meaningful opportunity and prosperity for everyone. We work with economic policy experts, progressive movement leaders, and activists on the front lines of progressive causes in communities across the country to develop and advance a progressive economic worldview, collaborate and foster new ideas, and develop new pathways to share information. We’re committed to breaking down issue silos, supporting and amplifying each other’s work, and showing up for one another on critical economic issue campaigns.
We’re looking for a Policy and Research Director to help lead and manage the Policy and Research team here at Groundwork Collaborative. This is a senior position that will play an integral, leadership role in nearly all aspects of Groundwork’s program, strategy and operations. The Director will work closely with the Managing Director of Policy and Research and the rest of the policy and research team to engage on economic policy issues in a manner that furthers Groundwork’s mission. We need someone with a rare combination of policy chops, research skills, management talent, and creative vision.
Our team produces persuasive, effective research materials that strengthen the case for an economic worldview that produces a more just, inclusive, and prosperous economy and society. We craft everything from internal reports and data analysis to products for public release. You’ll advise and guide our Policy Analysts, ensuring that the team is meeting our overall goals while encouraging professional development and growth among our staff.
As Policy and Research Director, you’ll:
- Mentor, guide, and develop the Policy Analysts, monitor and direct their workflow
- Ensure that all research products are high quality, effective, and timely; Utilize the Policy and Research team effectively to ensure all Groundwork products meet high standards of accuracy.
- Support the research and policy needs of our advocacy campaigns, and ensure that our advocacy campaigns are serving our policy goals
- Partner with the Managing Director and other senior team members to develop the research and policy strategy
- Collaborate with Groundwork staff on other teams (digital, communications, campaigns) to anticipate their research needs
- Work with your team to generate ideas for persuasive research products and supervise the execution of those products including reports, white papers, fact sheets, messaging guidance, and op-eds.
- Act as public spokesperson for Groundwork representing the organization at conferences, in the media, and other public speaking venues.
- Supervise and manage projects that will involve both members of the Policy and Research team but also staff from other teams; delegate tasks and assignments effectively.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- You have an Advanced degree, or equivalent experience/expertise in a related field (e.g., economics, sociology, political science, public policy, law etc.)
- You’re comfortable with data analysis and translating academic research jargon into plain (and compelling) language
- You’re an excellent writer and editor, with an eye toward overall quality control
- You have experience managing and developing a team, and can’t wait to mentor a strong team of staff
- You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- You’re well-organized and live for the details
- You’re a creative problem-solver and you can see around corners
- You’re flexible and resilient, willing and able to roll with the punches as new challenges arise.
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans
In addition, it would be a bonus if…
- You have an advanced degree in a relevant field such as economics, public policy, or political science
- You’ve worked in public policy research, especially in a political, legislative or campaign context
- You’re deeply familiar with the progressive economic policymaking community
The salary range for this position is $95,000 to $115,000, commensurate with experience.
This position is not part of a bargaining unit represented by the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union.
How to Apply
To begin the application process, please provide your resume, a cover letter, and include at least 3 references who can speak about you as a candidate for this position. Please note that we may not be able to send a response directly to everyone who applies.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
New Venture Fund Careers
Groundwork Collaborative is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-28