Director of Policy and Research
Launched in 2018, the Groundwork Collaborative is a mission-driven effort to advance an economic vision that delivers meaningful opportunity and prosperity for everyone. We work with economic policy experts, progressive movement leaders, and activists on the front lines of progressive causes in communities across the country to develop and advance a progressive economic worldview, collaborate, and foster new ideas, and develop new pathways to share information. We are committed to breaking down issue silos, supporting and amplifying each other’s work, and showing up for one another on critical economic issue campaigns.
We’re looking for a Policy and Research Director to help lead and manage the Policy and Research team here at Groundwork Collaborative. This is a senior position that will play an integral, leadership role in nearly all aspects of Groundwork’s program, strategy and operations. The Director will work closely with the Managing Director of Policy and Research and the rest of the policy and research team to engage on economic policy issues in a manner that furthers Groundwork’s mission. We need someone with a rare combination of policy chops, research skills, management talent, and creative vision.
Our team produces persuasive, timely, and effective research materials that strengthen the case for an economic worldview that produces a more just, inclusive, and prosperous economy and society. We craft everything from internal reports and data analysis to products for public release. You’ll advise and guide our Research and Policy team, ensuring that the team is meeting our overall goals while encouraging professional development and growth among our staff.
As Policy and Research Director, you’ll:
Vision, and Strategy
- Work with the Managing Director and other organizational leaders to set the vision for long-term work that makes a strong and credible case for the Groundwork worldview;
- Develop policy and research strategy to execute timely, high-quality and policy relevant research products that fill gaps in the landscape; ensure all Groundwork products meet high standards of accuracy;
People, Partnerships, and Product Development
- Work with the team to generate ideas for persuasive research products and supervise the execution of those products including reports, white papers, fact sheets, messaging guidance, and op-eds;
- Mentor, guide, and develop the Research and Policy team staff members; supervise and manage projects that involve team members from across the organization;
- Ensure that our advocacy, policy and research efforts support each other;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with research and policy partners at peer institutions;
- Participate in rapid response efforts, including data releases and timely commentary on the policy landscape;
- Act as public spokesperson for Groundwork at conferences, in the media, and other public speaking venues;
- Build policies and processes for the research and policy team to ensure smooth workflow;
- Proactively communicate across internal and external stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned, including budget management and operational support
- You have extensive expertise in economic policy;
- You have experience managing and developing a team, and can’t wait to mentor early career staff members;
- You’re comfortable with data analysis and translating academic research jargon into plain and compelling language;
- You’re an excellent writer and editor, and have high standards for quality control
- You have experience developing research in service of policy or advocacy goals;
- You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- You’re well-organized and live for the details;
- You’re an exceptional and proactive communicator up, down and across the organization;
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to come up with big ideas, execute, and evaluate a project’s effectiveness;
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to people, with a particular attention to dismantling structural barriers including racism, sexism, xenophobia, ableism, and others.
In addition, it would be a bonus if…
- You have an advanced degree in a relevant field such as economics, public policy, political science, or sociology
- You’ve worked in public policy research, especially in a political, legislative or campaign context
- You’re deeply familiar with the progressive economic policymaking community
The salary range for this position is $95,000 to $115,000, commensurate with experience.
This position is not part of a bargaining unit represented by the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union.
How to Apply
To begin the application process, please provide your resume, a cover letter, and include at least 3 references who can speak about you as a candidate for this position. Please note that we may not be able to send a response directly to everyone who applies.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
New Venture Fund Careers
Groundwork Collaborative is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
New Venture Fund has extended its work-from-home and essential travel requirements through August 1, 2021. All employees must continue to work from home, and work travel remains restricted to essential, pre-approved travel only. In considering this extension, our main priority remained and will continue to be the safety of all employees. We want to ensure that you are able to impact the world in a meaningful way while staying healthy and well. NVF has also provided COVID-19 leave which staff can request to manage any COVID-19-related needs such as if they or a household member is sick if they are unable to find childcare and other needs.
Job posted: 2021-06-06