Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy and Strategy
Do you believe we will see a generation of tobacco-free youth? Do you believe that every youth deserves the right to be happy and risk-free from alcohol and other drug addiction? Are you willing to stand tall against industry goliaths to protect kids from becoming users of their products? If so, you’re the type of candidate we hope applies for this role.
Organizational Overview: Texans for Safe and Drug-Free Youth is looking for a Policy and Strategy Director. Located in Austin, Texans for Safe and Drug-Free Youth (TxSDY) is the statewide non-profit and social change organization that is committed to putting an end to youth alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use. When we see a gap that puts the health and safety of young people at risk, we fill it.
How does TxSDY pursue its mission? We use collective impact and civic engagement strategies to build capacity for communities to advance public policy. Simply put, we believe that community and corporate accountability are needed to prevent youth alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and other drug use. And we train grassroots and grasstop leaders to do the work.
We are known for getting in the trenches and fueling our mission through sweat equity. We are also a leader in advancing evidence-based strategies that not only unleash large scale social movements but prevent youth from beginning deadly habits.
We do this work in partnership with local coalitions, colleges, state agencies, stakeholders, and other organizations with similar missions. Within our matrix driven structure, our team is expected to work hard, be nimble, strive for excellence, and operate in a highly collaborative manner.
Position Overview: We are looking for a passionate social change leader who isn’t afraid to work hard and speak up to protect youth. We are looking for someone who will inspire others to create healthier and safer communities that prevent youth substance abuse. It isn’t easy work, but because we are saving lives it is very rewarding. Just ask the people who have served alongside us for nearly 25 years.
This position works closely with the Director of Research and Advocacy, CEO, strategy consultants, as well as our volunteers. Our Director of Policy and Strategy is expected to analyze policy, research, and work on creating change at the local and state levels.
Who are we looking for?
● Someone who can think long term, as well as short term (and at the same time).
● Someone who is resilient.
● Someone who is approachable.
● Someone who has worked with large volunteer groups.
● Someone who can inspire others while holding them accountable.
● Someone who has worked in public policy, public health, or political campaigns.
● Someone who doesn’t mind tackling a task first.
● Someone who is a strategic thinker.
● Someone who is agile and able to use adaptive thinking.
● Someone who understands both local and state policy issues.
Essential Job Duties:
● Serves as a strategic thinker and works independently
● Collaborates with TxSDY colleagues and helps them achieve their goals
● Analyzes policy and provides strategic direction to achieve organizational goals
● Develops strategic resources to support implementation of social change campaigns
● Meets one on one with stakeholders, coalitions, elected/appointed officials, agency departments and volunteers
● Monitors public policy priorities
● Provides policy research, talking points, supporting materials for policy issues
● Recruits, trains and supports volunteers
● Guides coalitions understanding policy, processes, and strategy
● Collaborates with partner agencies
● Represents the organization at external meetings
● Presents/Trains on topics on behalf of the organization
Want to get your resume to the top of the candidate stack?
Here’s what’s required:
● Graduate Degree in public policy, political science, law, communications or equivalent work experience;
● Track record of successfully passing public policy;
● Track record in grant writing and completing grant reports;
● Minimum of five years of one or more of the following:
○ Legislative and regulatory lobbying,
○ Building and managing issue-based advocacy campaigns,
○ Developing and implementing strategic grassroots/grasstops tactics,
○ Successfully implementing environmental/population level prevention strategies,
○ Policy research, analysis and writing;
● Ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints;
● Knowledge of the principles and practices of strategic planning, budgeting, and managing work;
● Understanding of and commitment to advancing long-range goals to achieve public health outcomes;
● Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
● Exceptional conflict resolution and facilitation skills;
● Exceptional ability to foster relationships and build powerful partnerships;
● Ability to travel overnights, at times multiple days in a row;
● Must have a cell phone, driver’s license, personal vehicle with applicable insurance;
● Must be able to lift 30 pounds;
● Small non-profit and prevention experience are highly preferred;
● Commitment to organizational mission and ideology in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of our organization.
Things to Consider:
● This position reports to the CEO.
● The salary is between $65,000-$70,000 (commensurate with experience) plus benefits.
● Hours: full-time exempt position; some nights and weekends. Travel required.
● To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to info@TxSDY.org. In the subject line state: Policy Director. Your cover letter should share how you can inspire others, your direct experience, and what you will add to our existing team.
● Position is open until filled.
Job posted: 2022-07-31