Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The Director is responsible for providing leadership, direction, and coordination of public policy initiatives and advocacy related to Merck’s U.S. business interests. The Director is responsible for identifying, analyzing, and responding to public policy issues, developing Merck’s policy positions, and advocating in support of Merck’s positions and strategic business priorities in assigned areas. The Director will provide analysis and support for the federal government relations team and the U.S. market, and support interactions with trade associations, as needed. In conjunction with the senior policy team, the Director will advance Merck’s relationships with external stakeholders (both governmental and non-governmental) that influence public policy, provide counsel about possible courses of action, identify key external engagement opportunities on policy issues, and provide support for such engagements.
– Manage development and implementation of annual public policy strategic plans aligned with business priorities and objectives.
– Coordinate development of Merck public policy positions in coordination with senior policy management and relevant internal stakeholders, managing communication internally and externally, as appropriate.
– Engage relevant internal stakeholders to ensure Merck’s advocacy with public policy agencies and organizations is coordinated, consistent, and effective.
– Develop and maintain strong relationships with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders, including patient advocacy organizations.
– Represent Merck in industry and other external policy related fora through formal presentations to and other communications with relevant external stakeholders.
– Engage with regional policy teams to provide strategic guidance and policy coordination on public policy issues.
– Represent Merck within industry-related trade associations.
– Manage external consultants and policy development projects.
Education Minimum Requirement:
– BS/BA required. Master’s or graduate degree in a field related to health care policy preferred.
Required Experience and Skills:
– Minimum 3 years of experience in health care policy environment
– Strong knowledge of health care public policy process, including understanding the roles and influence of various stakeholders
– Understanding of relevant CMS rulemaking processes related to Merck business priorities
– Demonstrated ability to identify strategic priorities, work within a matrix organization to bring together different internal stakeholders, and develop and manage a policy project forward to resolution and action
– Ability to work collaboratively and inclusively is essential
– Excellent written and oral communication skills required
Preferred Experience and Skills:
– Strong understanding of pharmaceutical marketplace and role of public and private insurance
– Experience managing consultants and budgets
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 11, 2017