Director of Political Affairs
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 22,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Director of Political Affairs is responsible for advancing the merit shop legislative agenda utilizing all political resources. Supervises, plans, and directs ABC PAC, Free Enterprise Alliance, and lends assistance and guidance to State Affairs, Grassroots and Lobbyists.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
• Works with Political Manager and Political & Legislative Coordinator to ensure accomplishments of PAC plans.
• Serves as Assistant Treasurer for PAC with Federal Election Commission.
• Handles ED and member requests with political team.
• Assists with decisions on PAC disbursements and budget.
• Assists with candidate interviews in cooperation with lobbyists.
• Directs the targeting of campaigns in cooperation with Government Affairs staff.
• Handles all PAC legal requirements. Point of contact with law firm of Wiley Rein, LLP.
• Responsible for developing and implementing plans to raise $1 million annually.
• Works with ABC Finance Division to ensure proper legal and accounting procedures and operations.
Free Enterprise Alliance
• Assists VP and team with implementation of FEA activities to ensure accomplishments of goals
• Assists with decisions on FEA disbursements and develops budget.
• Directs the targeting of all education and initiatives in cooperation with Government Affairs staff.
• Collaborates with ABC member donors and leadership to secure financial support for state political groups, state parties and ballot initiatives.
• Provides State and Local Affairs team with data on financial contributions from donors, ABC chapters and state groups to ABC National’s PAC and FEA fundraising efforts.
• Plays major role in planning of all aspects of the annual Legislative Conference.
• Customer-service focus with an eye for process improvement.
• Strong team leader with ability to develop consensus among staff with various opinions.
• Ability to work within a project management/matrix staffing framework.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with a high level of detail and accuracy.
• Ability to successfully multi-task and work effectively under strict deadlines.
• Organizational awareness & resourcefulness – understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues.
• Proficient personal computer skills including routine database functions, word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint.
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university.
• Five years minimum experience in in government affairs setting with a focus on federal PAC.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
• Extroverted with the ability to be interact with senior leaders as well as front line staff.
• Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
• Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
• Writing and verbal skills.
• Self-starter and highly organized.
• Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
• Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
• Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
• Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
• Work accurately with close attention to detail.
• It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
• While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
• This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Please click here to apply for this position.
Job posted: 2019-02-28