Director, PR and External Communications
Director, PR and External Communications, will lead strategic development and execution of our global public relations strategy and related programming to help further advance Avantor as a leader in life sciences.
The director plays a key role in refining and executing the objectives and strategies for the company’s global media relations efforts designed to build/leverage thought leadership and drive One Avantor positioning.
The director is responsible for project management of these efforts, including coordination with subject-matter experts throughout the organization. The director’s efforts ensure meaningful and measurable long-term results while strengthening and/or protecting Avantor’s reputation.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Initiate, create, and deliver earned media programming/stories that drive awareness and engagement linked to Avantor’s business and brand strategy
- Proactively pitch stories positioning Avantor and spokespeople as experts on identified topics and key related growth trends
- Drive and maintain overall narrative and message framework for cohesive and integrated external communications programming via related channels, including media relations materials, corporate web site, social media, etc.
- Serve as communications subject matter expert with ability to direct and manage, proactively and reactively, media engagements
- Prepare spokespeople and leaders for media interviews and speaking engagements through media training as appropriate
- Serve as a key media contact as appropriate, including during crises
- Drive media relations efforts to support financial performance reporting and investor/analyst events and activities as needed
- Establish, maintain and strengthen relationships with related industry and financial reporters
- Establish a program to set and track measurable goals and adjust programming based on results
- Leverage digital, social, and paid media to complement and enhance earned media efforts as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other disciplines and functions across the enterprise, including Corporate Brand, Business Communications, Regional Communications, IR, Marketing, Marketing Communications and Internal Communications as needed
- Manage external PR or external comms agency partners, including tracking budgets, reporting, and delivery of support to meet business goals
- Manage issues/crises for the business and/or its brands as required
- Evaluate and prepare briefing documents related to external conferences and opportunities
- Use benchmarking and research skills to proactively identify issues, risks and trends that can impact Avantor’s reputation
- Monitor and track best practices and related trends
- Participate in key industry events to benchmark and track leading practices
- Other duties including supporting global brand and sustainability programming, as assigned with or without accommodations.
- Travel internationally and domestically 15-20% (under normal business travel conditions)
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, digital communications, journalism or related discipline required required
- 12+ years of experience in a corporate communications or agency role required.
- Global experience is a strong plus
- Experience leading financial communications.
- Position requires a strategic communications perspective, business acumen, an understanding of the relevant functions and a focus on performance.
- Strong ability to build productive relationships and lead development of communications strategies through interactions with diverse internal and external business partners, including company senior leadership across a variety of functions and geographies
- Experience leading cross-functional project teams; collaborating with multiple corporate departments and outside consultants; and managing diverse projects exceeding deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/high-growth environment, where initiative, accountability, and prioritization are critical
- Ability to interact with senior leadership on critical business issues
- Enthusiasm for implementing new communications technologies
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong writing & editing skills a must with a focus on quality control
- Excellent presentation and speaking skills
- Proactive, highly energetic personality, ability to think creatively
- Flexible with problem solving and analytical skills
- Committed to constant improvement and best practice
- Business acumen
- Digitally driven, with understanding of digital media platforms to develop and drive creative, engaging content
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
Typically works in an office with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level—or from a home office.
Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at TalentManagement@avantorsciences.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd party non-solicitation policy
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-12