Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Practice Policy
The Director of Practice Policy leads a team of health policy staff in the development and execution of successful policy strategies. This includes: models of care, ( e.g. crisis interventions, community mental health, coordinated specialty care, private practice, etc.), Medicaid and Medicare coverage, HIPAA, EMR, telepsychiatry, PBMs, PDLs, technology innovation. The Director will proactively recognize, assess, and communicate key policy threats and opportunities that impact psychiatry and maintain collaborative relationships with relevant federal agencies (e.g., ONDCP, FDA, DEA, SAMHSA, NIHs, HRSA, ONC, VA). He/she analyzes the impact of trends and initiatives on psychiatric practice. The Director is responsible for prioritizing and translating policy developments in aforementioned areas to advance APA strategic priorities, providing strategic advice to various levels of stakeholders within and outside of the APA. This position collaborates closely with the Director of Reimbursement Policy and Quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review, analyze and interprets information and trends relating to mental health and substance use practice and delivery.
- Direct the coordination of policy efforts with other cross-functional policy areas, Government Affairs, Communications, Education, and Research to ensure synergy with regulatory comments, advocacy materials, position statements, testimony, member educational materials, etc.
- Serve as the key interface and help lead strategic discussions and communication efforts with federal government agencies/organizations (such as HHS, ONDCP, ONC, SAMHSA, HRSA, CDC, NIHs, DEA, VA) as well as, lead partnership efforts with external stakeholders including other medical associations and coalitions.
- Work with APA Administration leadership and other members of the Divisions senior management to identify and develop policy positions and educational programs to inform members, district branches, and APA councils and components on issues related to practice management and delivery system issues in both the public and private sector.
- Develop proposals and presentations to internal and external audiences, including APA and district branch leadership, government agencies, foundations, insurers, and others on APA initiatives pertaining to practice and systems delivery issues.
- Collaborate with APAs Practice Management Help Line manager on issues affecting relevant policies and develop member products as needed.
- Directly supports the Council on Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, and oversee the work of the Council on Addiction Psychiatry
- Oversees staff development
- Other duties as assigned
- 10 – 15+ years experience with health care delivery and practice issues in the public and private sector; Masters degree a plus
- Knowledge of mental health and substance use issues preferred
- 5-8+ years progressive management experience
- Work in membership associations preferred
- An advanced understanding of federal and state regulatory processes, federal regulatory bodies that monitor and implement health programs, and healthcare policy development
- Established relationships with relevant government agencies, a plus
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, as well as in multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
EOE, including disability/vets
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-04