Director of Public Affairs
IOWA SELECT FARMS – JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Public Affairs Director
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
PREPARATION DATE: June 18, 2021
Summary of Position:
The Public Affairs Director directs the organization’s policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs. Maintains and nurtures the relationship with the government and elected leaders and contributes to the company’s strategic communications and issues management efforts.
- Work alongside the Director of Communications and the senior management team in development and execution of our public affairs strategies to further the objectives of the company.
- Areas of focus will include government relations, issue and crisis management, corporate social responsibility, and media and strategic communications.
- Recommend appropriate tactics for effective engagement to raise awareness and strengthen our reputation with key influencers, policy makers and decision-makers.
- Keep abreast of upcoming policy developments and activities and maintain a public affairs schedule.
- Oversee political contributions strategy for county, state and Congressional elections, PAC (Political Action Committee) contributions and political fundraisers.
- Develop written materials such as newsletters, fact sheets, white papers, and presentations on topics such as animal welfare, technology, environmental issues, labor, economic impact, and production practices.
- Contribute to and maintain database of county, state and federal lawmakers, stakeholders, and regulatory officials.
- Support the site development team by communicating with and engaging the landowner/site owner, county supervisors, site neighbors, community leaders, local press, district state lawmakers and local ag leaders before, during and after the project is completed.
- Develop, organize, nurture, and lead the Iowa Select Farms Ambassador Program aimed at engaging employees and contractors in local, state, and federal advocacy.
- Oversee production tour experience for customers, industry groups, and key stakeholders, leading the tours and fielding questions to engage in meaningful discussion around company and production practices.
- Engage in and assist with planning and execution of the programs of the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation.
- Carry out any other communication duties and projects as assigned.
Other key position responsibilities include:
- Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times and partnering with Production Well-being team when incident occurs.
- Adhere to ISF bio-security policy at all times and fixing violation if issue is brought to light.
- Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, public relations, or related field
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in public affairs, public relations, communications and/or government relations
- Proven track record of influencing stakeholders, and understanding of opportunities and risks of working collaboratively with other stakeholders
- Experience writing clear, concise, and persuasive copy for a range of audiences and in a variety of formats
- Experience in the workings of government and legislative process and knowledge of the political environment as they affect the pork industry
- Experience of developing and implementing effective public affairs strategies
- Sound analytical and fact-finding skills, and ability to identify and understand key issues
- Ability to be flexible, resilient, and calm while prioritizing daily/weekly tasks under pressure and/or tight deadlines.
- Collaborative working style, eager to work with others to achieve agreed influencing objectives
- Persuasive and diplomatic manner to build clear, evidence-based arguments about complex issues to promote viewpoints
- Demeanor should be positive, professional, and passionate always while maintaining quality of work, being proactive and self-motivated.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently be able to lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 75 pounds.
Must possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as this position does include travel to our facilities and all other required location as required by position. Overall travel for this position would be estimated at 5%.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-29