Director of Public Affairs
WestSide Baby, in partnership with our community, provides essential items to local children in need by collecting and distributing diapers, clothing, and equipment.
The Director of Public Affairs is responsible for leading WestSide Baby’s strategic priority to advocate for structural policy change, leading WestSide Baby’s marketing and communications platforms to raise awareness of our brand and diaper need, and managing our data collection and evaluation work to adapt services and communicate impact. This position exists to connect governmental advocacy, strategic communications, social impact, and community relations in service of WestSide Baby’s mission, vision, and values.
This is a full-time, 40 hours a week, exempt salaried employee position at our White Center, Seattle office. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an estimated 80-90% of the job functions can be performed remotely as we transition back to an in-person workplace this fall. This position reports to the Executive Director, and serves on the executive leadership team with three other department directors. Starting salary is $70,000-$75,000 annualized, depending on experience; generous benefits package, PTO and holiday pay available. Schedule includes occasional evening and weekend hours.
1. Brand Marketing & Communications (40%)
- Manage WestSide Baby’s marketing platforms to communicate our brand strategically with key stakeholders: media, social media, blog, e-flashes, website, printed collateral
- Craft content and key messages for internal and external dissemination through our marketing platforms, lead the development of WestSide Baby’s outcomes and impact messaging regarding evaluation, mission, advocacy, values, and equity commitment
- Provide consistent management of the WestSide Baby brand across the organization, serving as a key collaborator and approver for departmental communication strategy & content
- Project manage graphic design, printing, video, website, and other project-related vendors related to organization-wide marketing and communications
- Forecast and manage the marketing budget to ensure adequate resources and strategic use of funds to meet marketing and communications objectives
- Serve as a media spokesperson for WestSide Baby, train others as effective ambassador, build and maintain media partnerships and media kits
2. Advocacy (40%)
- Lead legislative strategy & public policy planning so that access to basic items is included in key policy agendas and legislation
- Engage with elected officials at the local, state, and national level to increase awareness of basic needs gaps
- Attend lobbying activities in line with WestSide Baby’s mission, vision, and values
- Represent WestSide Baby in key coalitions throughout the public and nonprofit sector, including other diaper banks
3. Evaluation Management (20%)
- Create and manage WSB evaluation planning in collaboration with program leadership
- Support creation and analysis of annual/semi-annual surveys of all audience groups including event attendees, volunteers, providers, and community members
- Support management and understanding of WestSide Baby’s ordering system, demographic, and geographic data in collaboration with IT/Business leadership
- Maintain updated impact communications materials (i.e., zip code map, annual reporting, dashboards)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral presentation, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated management experience engaging support to execute design & multimedia communication projects on time and on budget
- Experience managing social media strategy and content
- Knowledge of WordPress and CRM software
- Demonstrated ability to collect, analyze, and present data in concise reports for multiple audiences
- Creativity and passion for WestSide Baby mission, vision, values, and equity commitment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills
Required Education and Experience
- We are looking for a minimum of 4 years of professional experience in communications, public relations or public policy, preferably in a nonprofit setting, OR an advanced degree in Public Health, Public Policy/Administration, or related field plus 2 years of professional experience.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer and viewing monitor/lit screen
- Ability to work in standard office lighting
- Ability to travel locally for media opportunities, coalition meetings, and legislative meetings
Submit a resume and cover letter or video addressed to Sarah Cody Roth, Executive Director, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Public Affairs” in the subject line. Priority deadline to apply is September 15. Our hiring process involves a 3-step process: 1. Qualified applicants will be contacted for a phone interview; 2. Candidates who advance will be invited for a full (virtual) interview and, 3. Finalists will participate in a more casual team interview including a site tour.
WestSide Baby values diverse perspectives and life experiences. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply including people of color, immigrants, refugees, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and veterans. As an organization, we collaborate closely with many different communities around King County and value an equitable organizational structure that can contribute to equitable access to basic essentials for children.
Equal Employment Opportunity
WestSide Baby is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. It is the policy of WSB not to discriminate against employees and applicants based on race, color, citizenship, status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law, with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion and other terms and conditions of employment. All employment decisions shall be consistent with the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity.
Job posted: 2021-08-29