Director, Public Affairs
We have an immediate opportunity for a public affairs professional with strong issue advocacy, issues management, writing, project management skills and public policy expertise. You will be leading critical project work and managing a portfolio of key clients.
You bring a global perspective to your work and are self-directed, proactive and motivated to win for your clients every day. You create opportunities to drive the message and position issues leveraging the full spectrum of communications and engagement channels and tactics. You have experience leading teams and managing work streams while also serving in a key role on major projects. You have a desire to learn and grow – both across industries and communication mediums, such as traditional media, social/digital media, issues advocacy, grassroots, and stakeholder communications. You know how to work with clients and have a positive, go-getter attitude that wins the confidence of clients and inspires teams.
What we bring you: One of DC’s best places to work and ranked the 2017 Public Affairs Agency of the Year by The Holmes Report, with smart, fun colleagues and opportunities to work with people around the country and across the globe. Amazing in-house opinion research, creative and resources as part of your team. The chance to work on some of the most interesting and challenging issues of the day for leading companies and associations. An opportunity to shine, succeed and chart your course based on what you bring to the table – not where you sit on the org chart.
- Lead a wide range of strategic communication and issue campaigns for our high profile, globally-recognized clients
- Manage client relationships including overseeing client projects, supervising project teams, allocating resources, and delegating work effectively
- Provide the highest level of client service on a daily basis through proactive account management, serving as the key client contact while also managing staff (both senior and junior) to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Design and implement multi-faceted, integrated communications and federal and state issue campaigns to position client issues and priorities with key audiences that may include elected officials, media, consumers and stakeholders
- Identify strategy for effective messages
- Monitor developments in key client issue areas and flag opportunities for further client engagement
- Establishes APCO as a trusted business partner
- At least 10 years of public affairs, strategic communications, or federal/state issue advocacy campaign experience including leading successful client teams
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Solid project management experience, including overseeing a team and multiple deliverables
- Demonstrated success formulating and leading strategic engagements with external stakeholders
- Ability to translate technical or arcane concepts for a general audience
- Experience leading public policy initiatives or campaigns, especially related to technology, trade, and financial regulatory issues
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communications, stakeholder engagement and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-13