Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Public Affairs
With a 110-year heritage, the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is the nation’s premier not-for-profit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting insurance fraud and crime.
NICB membership includes more than 1,200 property-casualty insurance companies, vehicle rental companies, auto auctions, vehicle finance companies, self-insured organizations and strategic partners. Beyond our membership, our nearly 400 employees work with law enforcement agencies, technology experts, government officials, prosecutors, international crime-fighting organizations and the public to lead a united effort to prevent and combat insurance fraud and crime.
A career with the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is rewarding and fulfilling to people who have the passion to play an important role in combating insurance fraud and vehicle crime. At the NICB, we know our people are our competitive advantage, and so, we offer a work atmosphere that is second to none.Position Purpose:
Responsible for developing and managing NICB’s Public Affairs Strategy – integrating traditional, digital, and social media campaigns and tactics – to increase awareness and engagement with NICB’s external stakeholders, the media and general public. Works closely with VP, Public Affairs and Communications, President’s Office, and senior leaders to develop integrated campaigns and messaging that advances NICB’s Strategic Goals with key audiences, including NICB member companies, law enforcement partners, lawmakers, regulators, industry associations, and the media.
- In collaboration with VP, Public Affairs and Communications, develops and leads a comprehensive, multi-faceted Public Affairs Strategy, as well as proactive integrated media campaigns, that align to and advance NICB’s Strategic Goals.
- Leads and coaches a Public Affairs team responsible for sharing the NICB story to external audiences through traditional, social, and digital media campaigns and tactics.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with national and major market media outlets, member companies, law enforcement partners, industry associations, and partner organizations.
- Pitches proactive story ideas and interview opportunities with NICB leadership and subject matter experts to national and major market media outlets.
- Works closely with VP and President’s Office to coordinate live media interviews and media tours and prepare the President for interviews.
- Leads NICB’s day-to-day media relations activities, including responding to national and major market media inquiries with tight deadlines.
- Plans and leads robust digital and social media campaigns and annual calendars to ensure consistent branding and relevant, timely messaging across all NICB’s digital platforms (NICB.org, NICTA.org, NICB Intranet, and blog) and social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube).
- Represents NICB and contributes public affairs expertise at industry meetings and member conference calls and meetings.
- Serves as back-up company spokesperson to various media sources, or direct media to appropriate spokesperson.
- Coordinates public affairs initiatives with member companies, law enforcement partners, government agencies, and industry trade associations.
- Utilizes traditional, digital, and social media data and analysis to create detailed monthly reports for leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must reside within 3 hours of corporate headquarters in Des Plaines, IL, and be able to travel to offices (often on short notice) for media interviews and planning and department meetings.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Established relationships with a wide variety of national and major market media sources, including assignment managers, reporters, and editors.
- Strong experience creating proactive public affairs and integrated media campaigns.
- Solid understanding of digital and social media platforms and uses.
- Ability to analyze data, trends, and internal and external reports.
- Ability to travel for conferences and media opportunities.
- Ability to work remotely and independently under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work as a team member in a team environment.
- High level of organization skills.
- Sound decision making skills.
Education, Work Experience, Licensure:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Public Relations, Journalism or related field.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience leading public affairs / media relations efforts for a PR agency, government agency, industry association, or large company with responsibility for multiple concurrent projects.
- Prior management experience required.
- Prior experience working in the insurance industry helpful.
- Crime-related public affairs experience preferred
- This position supervises a Public Affairs Specialist and a Digital Media Specialist.
- All levels of employees within NICB.
- National, major market, and local media sources: Reporters, assignment managers, editors, etc.
- Member companies, law enforcement partners, industry trade associations, government agencies.
- Business environment at corporate headquarters.
- Must reside within 3 hours of the corporate headquarters in Des Plaines, IL.
- May be required to lift 25 pounds.
- Extensive travel required.
The NICB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: NICB is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the NICB are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-06