Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Affairs
Credit Union National Association is recruiting for a Director of Public Affairs via
The QTI Group.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA) is the most influential financial services trade association and the only national association that advocates on behalf of all of America’s credit unions. We’ve been named a Top Workplace for two years in a row by the Wisconsin State Journal (WSJ).
Credit Union National Association is excited to announce an opening for a Director of Public Affairs on the Strategic Communications team. This integral position will work closely with a talented team of communications strategists to help advance CUNA’s advocacy priorities. The Director of Public Affairs plays a key role in crafting and disseminating messages to key stakeholders and helps create targeted communications campaigns.
This position is a 3-2 hybrid role, with 3 days in the Washington, D.C. office and 2 days remote.
- Develop and maintain CUNA’s advocacy messaging strategy.
- Coordinate closely with CUNA executives, advocacy and political teams, League communicators, and others to develop the strategy and execute tactics in a team environment to achieve CUNA’s advocacy goals.
- Create and execute tactical communications plans that support specific policy initiatives.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with communications staff for key policymakers, coordinating as appropriate.
- Produce advocacy collateral including fact sheets, issue briefs, talking points, letters to the editor, and op-eds, among other written materials.
- Supervise and lead the work of the Social Media Strategic Manager and Video Editor, ensuring individual goals and work are aligned with CUNA priorities.
- Coach, mentor, and actively engage in developing staff by providing opportunities to broaden and enrich their skill sets.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with the media (including trade, Beltway, and national press) and communications staff of coalition partners.
- Make independent judgments about appropriate spokespeople to deploy in response to inquiries and when necessary.
- Write op-eds and other material, pitch stories, and interviews with CUNA’s executives and membership subject matter experts, in coordination with the Director of Media Relations and other members of the Strategic Communications team.
- Prepare CUNA’s leadership and others for interviews through media training (as needed) and talking points to focus interviews on association priorities.
- Develop and participates in CUNA cross-functional teams as needed to promote a smooth working environment within the department and association.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or relevant experience in lieu of education.
- 7+ years of experience in media relations and/or advocacy communications.
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role.
- Advocacy communications, campaign, and/or Capitol Hill experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in communications strategy.
- Top-tier proficiency in writing and editing news articles and op-eds.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with the press.
- Familiarity with legislative and regulatory processes and an understanding of the financial services industry is preferred.
- Previous experience managing or leading others is strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel 10+ days per year.
CUNA is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At CUNA, we believe our differences are our strength, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Passionate / Collaborative / Inclusive / Authentic / Accountable (our Values)
Internal job grade: 12
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-12