Director of Public Affairs & Advocacy
Oakland, CA or Washington, DC
Preferred location is Oakland, CA. Willing to consider Washington, DC.
Responsible for providing complex public policy communications strategy, management, consultation, planning, implementation and recommended solutions for the Government Relations organization of Kaiser Permanente, as well as functions, programs and projects across a broad variety of internal and external audiences (KP leaders, employees, influencers, media, members, consumers, etc.) to support organizational business strategies and to promote and protect the KP brand. Reports to Executive Director of Public Advocacy as part of Government Relations.
· Provides oversight and/or leads communications strategies and tactics that support KP’s strategic plans and public policy goals. Works within a team of communication professionals and provides strategic thinking and leadership skills.
· Identifies and optimizes appropriate public policy efforts through strategic communication leadership.
· Evaluates findings and makes formal recommendations to several stakeholders including up to C-level KP executives.
· Designs communications strategies that optimize KP business strategies, programs and public policy priorities.
· Brings forth technical/content expertise (stakeholder awareness and intelligence, legislative/executive/administrative operations, sophisticated communications strategies, tools and techniques).
· Develops and implements strategies related to external media inquiries.
· Mentors, reviews, and approves team member communication recommendations and works on a variety of topics. Advises and manages team members who may report to other functions but can be tasked with assisting public policy initiatives, whose work includes strategic communications leadership, planning, and tactical implementation in both day-to-day and high-risk situations. Selects, develops, evaluates, coaches, and advises personnel.
· Minimum eight (8) years of experience in Public Relations, Communications or similar roles.
· Minimum two (2) years of related management experience.
· Bachelor’s degree in political science, journalism, english, public relations, business administration, or related field.
· Extensive experience working with principals and confidential, high-risk and / or highly sensitive content.
· Experience managing communications across large, complex organizations.
· Experience with stakeholder management and change management in a large organization.
· Experience working across internal and external communications with a demonstrated understanding for how they influence each one.
· Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and manage complex projects: ability to work effectively with team members and senior executives under tight deadlines.
· Contributes to the development of innovative communications principles, ideas and practices.
· Demonstrated expertise in the creation, execution and evaluation of public policy initiatives, legislative advocacy, political crisis/issue management, key stakeholder management and coalition building.
· In-depth knowledge of legislative and health care policy arenas.
· Must be able to work in a Labor/Management partnership environment.
· Five (5) years of directly related management experience, to include a combination of: three (3) years of experience managing political campaigns, three (3) years of experience working with elected officials, staff and governmental agencies.
· A combination of state and federal policy experience.
· Public relations agency experience.
· Master’s degree in political science, journalism, English, public relations, business administration, or related field.
· Expertise in health care issues.
· Extensive knowledge of health policy, state and federal legislative and political processes.
· Knowledge of local, state and federal governmental agencies, and their processes and policies that affect the health care community.
If interested, please apply directly on our career website at kaiserpermanentejobs.org using requisition number 794629 in the keyword search. You can also cut/paste the following link: https://kp.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=794629&lang=en
Should you have any questions, please reach out to Kate Regez, Leadership Search Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2019-07-29