Director, Public Affairs & Corporate Social Responsibility
Purpose of Position:
The Director of Public Affairs and Corporate Social Responsibility will be responsible for advancing the company’s perception among investors, media, influencers, customers as well as internal audiences. This role will have a focus on policy, regulatory, and non-financial global reporting matters. The candidate will serve as a strategist and change agent to achieve greater transparency and disclosure on environmental, social and governance matters. And will also be responsible for effectively managing crisis communications and contentious issues to protect the company’s brand and reputation. The role will also elevate awareness of Corning’s social responsibility programs in support of the Office of Racial Equality and Social Unity. This candidate will work with a team of high-performing individuals to understand the company’s presence on strategic matters, connect the dots on issues that influence perception, and increase focus on Corning’s. The ideal candidate should have a combination of Washington DC and corporate public affairs experience and a strong track record of media relations.
• Lead the development and execution of a multi-faceted communications strategy in support of the Company’s CSR narrative. Help the corporation reach key audiences through a variety of communication channels, including opinion leaders, elected officials, philanthropic partners, stakeholders, issue experts and employees—building and driving awareness for the Company’s positive impact in the global communities it operates.
• Develop and implement the communication strategy in support of the Office of Racial and Social Equality (ORESU).
• With the community outreach leader of ORESU, drive alignment of narratives, tools and programming with Corning’s community engagement organization.
• Identify, develop and maintain tools and other tracking mechanisms to evaluate, track, and report implementation and progress against the Company’s corporate responsibility goals and key stakeholder requirements and relationships.
• Assess, interpret, and understand corporate ESG frameworks of reporting standards (i.e., Global Reporting Initiative, Sustainability Accounting Standards Board), including leveraging business processes for tracking, disclosing key ESG performance statistics, and conducting benchmarking of reporting practices and disclosures.
• The candidate will have demonstrated expertise in policy development, building broad multi-sector coalitions, driving political or social advocacy campaigns and working cross functionally with public affairs, government relations and communications teams
• Work cross-functionally with internal partners to ensure priorities are embedded throughout the Company. Corning Restricted
• Serve as a consultant to colleagues in the businesses ad regions to identify, evaluate, and determine the impact of current issues and guide the development of key messaging and positioning to address them
• Understand new markets, political and public opinion as well as the economic environment
• Coordinates activities with the vice president of communications, as well as other appropriate internal and external resources
• Provides effective direction and counsel on executive speaking and public facing opportunities
Required Experience and Skills:
• 12+ years of experience in any of the following: non-financial reporting, corporate responsibility, environment, social, or governance (ESG) disciplines, enterprise risk, or sustainability
• Experience in managing contentious issues, advising on disclosure practices, and tracking industry-wide trends
• Self-starter with a track record of leading new initiatives in a matrixed organization with cross functional teams while working effectively at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to build coalitions, influence, and build credibility and trust while driving outcomes and holding others accountable
• Invested in the development of talent across a global organization
• Strong consulting skills with the ability to quickly assess situations, identify gaps and potential solutions
• A strategic thinker who can stay on top of tactical execution, exercises exceptional judgment, and operates independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Established project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities
• Superior research and analytical skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-13