Director, Public Affairs & Digital Engagement
Under the supervision of the Vice President, Public Affairs & Digital Engagement, and in collaboration with the larger communications team, the Director, Public Affairs & Digital Engagement oversees the creation and dissemination of all content across the Association’s digital platforms, including the website, podcast, and social media channels with the goal of informing our core audiences, influencing health policy debate, and helping generate interest in non-dues revenue-generating initiatives like AHIP’s professional education and industry conferences.
Primarily responsible for managing AHIP’s digital content strategy, including conceiving and producing a constant flow of original digital-first content including long-form articles, infographics, motion graphics, videos, our podcast, The Next Big Thing in Health, as well as developing and executing creative and innovative social media campaigns. This role will supervise the Manager, Public Affairs and Digital Engagement, as well as manage freelance writers and collaborate with agency partners. The incumbent will also work with other members of the Public Affairs team, as well as other AHIP departments, on additional communications and advocacy projects, as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with ADA.
- Leads the creation and publishing of compelling, high-quality digital-first content to drive key messages and priorities. Digital content ranges from long-form articles to infographics, motion graphics, and videos—with a focus on content that is tailored for social media.
- Manages an ongoing digital content calendar to ensure AHIP is continuously part of and driving the health care conversation online.
- Manages AHIP’s social media strategy, including driving innovative new approaches to storytelling and advocacy on behalf of our membership.
- Establishes and activates an AHIP employee social media advocacy campaign to leverage staff social networks to help widen our reach.
- Produces AHIP’s podcast, The Next Big Thing in Health, including finding guests, creating briefs for our hosts, and promoting episodes.
- Leverages Web and social media analytics to make content creation recommendations based on that data.
- Closely monitor news and events to assess the need for and carries out rapid response efforts.
- Collaborates with internal colleagues and external consultants and agencies to execute digital advertising campaigns.
- Stays informed and educated on the latest digital media tools and tactics to improve/grow the Association’s online and digital presence. Keeps pulse on best practices within the health care and advocacy environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- This position manages the Manager, Public Affairs and Digital Engagement
- Exceptional writing skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and with a team
- Deep experience leading digital content and social media strategy
- Experience interpreting digital media metrics and analytics, including metrics for Web, social media, video, and digital audio channels
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize a large number of tasks
- Ability to produce quality content on short deadlines
- Professional demeanor
- Familiarity and interest with health care policy issues
- Is familiar with the operation of a large website
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
- Seven years of experience working in digital communications or journalism
- Proven experience in a communications role producing quality content and overseeing digital media platforms
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a team
This job operates in a professional office/home office environment. Therefore, this role routinely uses standard office equipment.
- Continuous sitting for prolonged periods more than 3 consecutive hours in an 8-hour day.
- Keyboard use of greater or equal to 90% of the workday
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., however may require long hours and weekend work.
- This position can work remotely 50 – 100% of the time within a week
- This position may require face-to-face interaction at our DC office or other locations less than 50% of the time within a week
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
AHIP will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
AHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-02