Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director Public Affairs & Government Relations
This position supports the transformation of health care through the proactive application of policy and political strategies designed to establish Cambia as a market-leading health solutions innovator and provider of high-quality health care services. Directs, monitors and reports regulatory readiness to ensure laws, rules and regulatory issues are appropriately monitored, communicated and known across the company
General Functions and Outcomes
- Subject matter expert on state policy and political activity. Develops and maintains strong relationships with legislators and is a liaison between Cambia and the legislature.
- Strong knowledge of state and federal regulatory processes and procedures. Maintains relationships with key regulators to advance Cambia’s business objectives.
- Develops and successfully implements Cambia’s proactive legislative strategy designed to advance Cambia’s business objectives.
- Develops and maintains appropriate lines of communication with regulators and works to educate them on key health care issues and policies.
- Works in partnership with the Public and Regulatory Affairs Specialist to ensure the effectiveness of Cambia in their market to develop and strengthen Cambia’s reputation and presence as a high quality health care innovator.
- Secure key relationships and actively develop opportunities to accomplish this. Work in collaboration with more broad Cambia teams to execute on positioning campaigns and strategies.
- Coordinates and assists in the implementation of federal regulatory policies and procedures at the state level.
- Develops and implements Cambia’s proactive outreach strategy to key elected officials and other influences
- Oversees political giving and develops comprehensive giving strategies in coordination with the Vice President Government Affairs.
- Responsible for analysis of new and existing statutes and regulations to determine operational impacts to Regence health insurance products.
- Acts as a liaison between Cambia and state government to provide appropriate access and input on public policy, legislative and regulatory issues. Keeps corporate strategies in the forefront for legislative consideration.
- Monitors and intervenes as necessary in state rule-making activities to support development of consistent rules and regulations across Regence states that align with corporate strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the state legislative and political processes. Proven experience working within or lobbying legislative bodies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes. Knowledge of regulatory rules, guidelines, enforcement and administration.
- Experience working on political campaigns or as a health policy consultant or strategist; ideally in a leadership role.
- Deep understanding of Political Action Committees (PACs) and campaign finance regulations. Ability to develop coalitions with key partners to advance business objectives.
- Proven experience working in or around strategic communications or public relations with a strong sense of political and media strategy.
- Ability to think strategically while implementing and executing on initiatives and appropriately influencing outcomes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including presentation and public speaking.
- Ability to analyze proposed legislation and or regulations to determine impacts on the business. Experience drafting rules and amendments to regulations and legislation.
- Critically analyze and evaluate policy proposals and partner with internal groups to drive discussion and develop strategies and approaches.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations would have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Political Science, Communications or related field and 8 – 10 years of experience in public policy or political affairs, regulatory affairs, public relations or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree preferred.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Travel throughout the region as required.
Regence employees are part of the larger Cambia family of companies, which seeks to drive innovative health solutions. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. Regence is 2.2 million members, here for our families, co-workers and neighbors, helping each other be and stay healthy and provide support in time of need. We’ve been here for members for 100 years. Regence is a nonprofit health care company offering individual and group medical, dental, vision and life insurance, Medicare and other government programs as well as pharmacy benefit management. We are the largest health insurer in the Northwest/Intermountain Region, serving members as Regence BlueShield of Idaho, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah and Regence BlueShield (in Washington). Each plan is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
If you’re seeking a career that affects change in the health care system, consider joining our team at Cambia Health Solutions. We advocate for transforming the health care system by making health care more affordable and accessible, increasing consumers’ engagement in their health care decisions, and offering a diverse range of products and services that promote the health and well-being of our members. Cambia’s portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
This position includes 401(k), healthcare, paid time off, paid holidays, and more. For more information, please visit www.cambiahealth.com/careers/total-rewards.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A background check is required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-30