Director Public Affairs & Government Relations
Director, Public Affairs & Government Relations
This position supports the transformation of health care through the proactive application of policy and political strategies designed to establish Regence as a market-leading health solutions innovator and provider of high-quality health care services. Advocates for Regence’s legislative and regulatory agenda and priorities, in order to protect the company and also preserve its strategic flexibility. Directs, monitors and reports regulatory readiness to ensure laws, rules and regulatory issues are appropriately monitored, communicated and known across the company.
General Functions and Outcomes:
- Subject matter expert on state political, legislative and regulatory activity. Develops and maintains strong relationships with legislators and is a liaison between Regence and the legislature.
- Strong knowledge of state regulatory processes and procedures. Maintains relationships with key regulators to advance Regence’s and Cambia’s business objectives.
- Develops and successfully implements Regence’s proactive legislative strategy designed to advance Cambia’s and Regence’s business objectives.
- Acts as a liaison between Regence and state government to provide appropriate access and input on public policy, legislative and regulatory issues. Keeps corporate strategies in the forefront for legislative consideration.
- Develops and maintains appropriate lines of communication with regulators and works to educate them on key health care issues and policies.
- Works as a member of the broader Cambia Public Affairs and Policy team, including with co-workers in other states and at the federal level, to coordinate and advance a consistent and strategic agenda at the legislative and regulatory levels.
- Works in partnership with the Public and Regulatory Affairs Specialist in the state to ensure the effectiveness of Regence in their market to develop and strengthen its reputation and presence as a high quality health care innovator.
- Work in collaboration with more broad Cambia teams to execute on positioning campaigns and strategies.
- Develops and implements Cambia’s proactive outreach strategy to key elected officials and other influences
- Develops comprehensive giving strategies, and makes recommendations regarding political donations, in coordination with the Vice President of State Government Affairs.
- Responsible for analysis of new and existing statutes and regulations to determine operational impacts to Regence health insurance products.
- Monitors and intervenes as necessary in state rule-making activities to support development of consistent rules and regulations across Regence states that align with corporate strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the state legislative and political processes. Proven experience working within or lobbying legislative bodies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes. Knowledge of regulatory rules, guidelines, enforcement and administration.
- Deep understanding of Political Action Committees (PACs) and campaign finance regulations. Ability to develop coalitions with key partners to advance business objectives.
- Proven experience working in or around strategic communications or public relations with a strong sense of political and media strategy.
- Ability to think strategically while implementing and executing on initiatives and appropriately influencing outcomes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including presentation and public speaking.
- Ability to analyze proposed legislation and or regulations to determine impacts on the business. Experience drafting rules and amendments to regulations and legislation.
- Critically analyze and evaluate policy proposals and partner with internal groups to drive discussion and develop strategies and approaches.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations would have a Bachelor’s Degree and 8 – 10 years of experience in public policy or political affairs, regulatory affairs, public relations or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree is a plus.
Must be located in the state and within reasonable driving distance of the state capitol and other government offices. Travel throughout the region as required.
At Cambia, we advocate for transforming the health care system. You aren’t satisfied with the status quo and neither are we. We’re looking for individuals who are as passionate as we are about transforming the way people experience health care. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check is required.
Cambia’s portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access; and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
We have a century of experience in developing and providing health solutions to serve our members. We had our beginnings in the logging communities of the Pacific Northwest as innovators in helping workers afford health care. That pioneering spirit has kept us at the forefront as we build new avenues to improve access to and quality of health care for the future.
This position includes 401(k), healthcare, paid time off, paid holidays, and more. For more information, please visit www.cambiahealth.com/careers/total-rewards.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check are required.
Everyone is a health care consumer deserving of a simpler, more personalized experience. Cambia is transforming the health care system to revolve around people. For over 100 years we’ve designed people-first health solutions rooted in the nation’s first health plan, a loggers’ wage pool established in the Pacific Northwest. Today that pioneering spirit aligns our family of over 20 companies, including 4 not-for-profit BlueCross and BlueShield licensed health plans serving over 3 million Americans.
Cambia blends data science with a compassionate human perspective to anticipate people’s needs, and empower them to make smarter health care choices.
Interested in driving accessibility, affordability and quality health care for real people? Apply to any of our open jobs or join the Twitter conversation @Cambia.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-17