Director of Public Affairs and Issues Management
We are currently seeking a Director of Public Affairs & Issues Management. This position will serve as a leader in government relations, public policy and environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues management. Consistent with our business interests and values, this person will help determine and drive policies that create positive social, environmental and community impact, develop and execute strategies for Chobani to influence public policy, build relationships with key stakeholders at the federal, state and local level, and implement effective issues management protocols, initiatives and reporting structures.
- Establish a positive, credible and influential presence for Chobani within state, federal and local government
- Represent and advance Chobani’s government relations agenda before elected officials and government decision makers
- Build and maintain relationships with elected officials and government decision makers on behalf of Chobani
- Foster a productive relationship between Chobani senior management, local leadership (plant and natural resource managers), and elected officials
- Monitor and track proposed legislation; analyze potential impact on company operations; develop positions thereon; communicate views internally and externally (to business partners, customers, and potential allies)
- Direct and maintain communication with Chobani senior management and internal departments to identify operational issues requiring legislative action
- Help manage outside government relations consultants in development and deployment of strategies to influence policy outcomes
- Promote a positive, credible and influential presence for Chobani on key food and beverage trade associations, as well as national public policy and legislative groups
- Collaborate across the team and cross-functionally to align internal and external needs and policymaking
- Identify issues and policies, internally and externally, to help develop a Chobani social wellness strategy, including policies of inclusion, diversity and equality, that represent the values of Chobani and enhance Chobani’s reputation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Follow all election and lobbying laws and enforce compliance with state, federal and local reporting requirements
- Manage and execute Chobani’s Impact Report amongst other key corporate ESG content materials
- Perform other duties as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience; working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience interacting with leadership of EPA, USDA, FDA, State Regulatory Authorities, and Academic Institutions preferred
- Strong experience with ESG program development and reporting
- Record of success developing CSR and social impact programming
- Strong network with senior federal and state government leadership
- Public government affairs, knowledge of direct lobbying with associations, consultants, Political Action Committees (PACs)
- Ability to advocate for laws and regulations during development and implementation, as well as government’s role in adoption and enforcement
- Highly resourceful (stretches people and money; compresses time)
- Organized and attention-to-detail approach (strong tactical execution)
- Sense of Urgency (Can operate under an “always urgent, never panic” pace)
- Adaptable, flexible, and ability to lead and inspire in a changing environment
- Experience leading a complex issues management function and process
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with a strong understanding of messaging and reputation management
- Effective project and time-management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Trustworthy, credible and non-political; high level of integrity and excellent sense of judgment
- Results-oriented, self-directed, inquisitive and entrepreneurial-minded
- Ability to quickly adjust to unforeseen changes in priorities and workload, and to exercise good judgment in complex situations.
- Ability to travel up to 25%
Since our founding over 10 years ago, we’ve always been a different kind of company. After moving to New York from his native Turkey, our CEO Hamdi Ulukaya found that in America, yogurt just wasn’t as delicious or widely available as it was back home. He thought everyone deserved better options, so he set about making delicious, nutritious, natural, and accessible Greek Yogurt right here in the U.S.
Our mission since day one has been to provide better food to more people. And now as the No. 1-selling Greek Yogurt brand in America that is expanding beyond yogurt, we believe every food maker has a responsibility to provide people with better options, which is why we’re so proud of the way our food is made.
Our food philosophy of crafting quality products with simple ingredients is what sets Chobani apart. Our belief that business done right has the ability to change lives and strengthen communities is what sets our company apart. From the way we source our ingredients to how we treat our employees, Chobani strives to make universal wellness happen sooner with everything we do. Certified as a Great Place to Work®, our culture is built on shared passion, dedication, and a commitment to doing what is right. Together, the Chobani family has created something unlike what any company has done before. The possibilities are endless.
Chobani is an equal opportunity employer. Chobani will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on any basis including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, military and/or veteran status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics and genetic information, or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-27