Director of Public Affairs (Remote or Washington DC)
The U.S. Hemp Roundtable, the hemp industry’s leading business advocacy organization, is looking for a seasoned, politically-savvy public affairs director. This individual will be central to the work of the organization, which currently represents over 80 firms and organizations in the hemp industry, including processors and manufacturers of hemp-derived products like CBD, as well as advocacy organizations and other industry partners. Our primary goal as an organization is to move forward national and state-level legislation and policy that promotes hemp farming, allows for the sale of regulated hemp products, and encourages growth for the industry.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned media veteran who has worked within the political realm and is strongly connected with political, agricultural and lifestyle press that can help us tell our story and develop the groundswell of public support that drives the legislative process.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Already-established, ready-to-activate relationships with key members of the political/Capitol Hill media (e.g., Politico, The Hill, Roll Call, Washington Post, New York Times, etc.). It would additionally be helpful to have such relationships with the agriculture press (e.g., Farm Journal, Progressive Farmer); and/or within consumer health and/or lifestyle press (e.g., Health, Prevention, Oprah, Shape, Men’s Health, Ms., daytime or late night talk shows etc.). The right candidate will come with an active press list of personal contacts in these areas, ready for immediate outreach. Strong relationships with hemp and natural products industry press are preferred, but not required if the candidate can demonstrate the ability and know-how to develop trade press relationships quickly and effectively.
- Excellent contacts in Washington, DC, and a working knowledge of legislative and administrative procedures.
- An excellent record of developing and pitching compelling news stories and obtaining strong positive coverage in political and consumer health and lifestyle press
- Proven ability to establish and maintain new relationships among key press, community leaders, industry leaders and political circles.
- A strong strategic and tactical media relations background, as demonstrated through case studies or other work samples.
- A clear understanding of what members of the media need, and what it means to be an excellent go-to source for the press.
- Strong media strategy, messaging/story development and pitching skills, with a proven track record of obtaining media coverage.
- The ability to fully manage media relations, fielding incoming inquiries as well as actively securing regular coverage through media outreach.
- Skills in identifying and analyzing emerging policy and political issues, and working with organization leadership to develop effective strategies for capitalizing on these opportunities for media coverage and/or political partnerships.
- The ability to craft effective communications and shareable assets that are effective in getting organization member companies, press and the public to share and amplify media coverage or calls to action. These may include fact sheets, white papers, web pages, membership emails, publications and other educational and promotional materials.
- A demonstrated track record of developing effective strategy, messaging and voice for an organization through written, oral and web-based communications.
- The ability to draft and send regular press releases on behalf of the organization.
- An understanding of how to amplify earned media through other platforms, such as LinkedIn, Reddit, email communications, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, a diplomatic nature, and genuine enthusiasm for the goals of the organization and its members.
While it is not required for our ideal candidate to have a solid understanding of the legislative landscape around hemp and hemp-derived products, it would be ideal. Candidates without specific hemp industry experience should be able to demonstrate their ability to quickly come up to speed in a new industry that contains complex legislative intricacies.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-26