Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Public Affairs (Western Region)
Come grow with us! We are One Rayonier, a team that works together to create value by maintaining a strong safety culture, challenging the status quo, giving back to our communities, being innovative, continuously learning and leading the way. After more than 90 years, Rayonier is still uncovering new ways to make lives better with our trees, our land, and — our most important resource — our people.
We strive to create an employee experience that makes you proud to be a part of the Rayonier team. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive and collaborative environment where you can be who you are and valued for your unique talents and perspectives. Rayonier is big enough to offer you professional growth and development opportunities, yet small enough for you to know every coworker by name. Come join a team that empowers you to make a difference!
Location: Work from home opportunity with reasonable commute to one of our offices in Washington State (Hoquiam, Poulsbo and/or Olympia)
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Are you passionate about public policy, politics, issues management, and the stewardship of natural resources? We are actively searching for an experienced government affairs professional to manage current and emerging public policy issues that impact our diverse land holdings in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Washington. This individual will work closely with our U.S. Forest Resources and Real Estate businesses, state forestry trade associations, coalitions, and the communities we serve developing and implementing strategies and communication tools that support the company’s legislative and regulatory positions and other key business objectives.
Through this experience you will gain exposure to the many different aspects of a large, geographically diverse, land resources company, structured as a Timberland REIT, operating in 10 U.S. states and New Zealand. You will have access to the tools, support and development you desire to continue to build upon your knowledge and expertise and advance your career, including mentoring, training opportunities, development exposures and more.
HOW YOU WILL SUCCEED:
- Collaborate with business colleagues to ensure alignment and prioritization of issues.
- Develop and disseminate issue-related communications to support Company’s legislative and regulatory positions and act as a key contact for inquiries from employees.
- Assist in building coalitions to support business interests.
- Represent Company on trade association or other state, regional or community boards or committees as appropriate.
- Leverage our political advocacy work with that of the various state forestry trade associations when and where possible.
- Direct the work of contract consultants from time to time to ensure they are executing on their scope of work and the Company is getting a return on investment.
- Foster positive working relationships between Company leaders and government officials as well as Native American Tribes.
- Act on opportunities to highlight the company as a corporate neighbor through public outreach activities (National Forest Products Week, Earth Day, Arbor Day, public school programs).
WHAT IS REQUIRED:
- 10+ years of experience of public affairs experience, preferably in government affairs, issues management, coalition building, and community affairs
- Undergraduate degree required
- Natural Resource Policy experience preferred but not required
- Must possess a superior capacity to convey personal trust and credibility and exercise good judgment
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Must effectively collaborate with all levels of the organization as well as external stakeholders
- Must be a team player with the ability to effectively manage multiple functions in a busy environment
- Must demonstrate strong time management skills, and the ability to work independently without much supervision
- Must be resourceful, able to assimilate large amounts of information and maintain sensitive information and/or discussions in confidence
Rayonier is committed to maintaining a safe and productive work environment that is drug-free, promotes diversity, and is free of discrimination.
Job posted: 2022-11-14