Director of Public Engagement
Instacart’s Policy & Government Affairs department advocates for public policy outcomes that support the long-term growth of our business and the success of our key stakeholders. We build trust with government policymakers, helping them understand our business and its positive impact on their communities. We help to shape complex, cutting-edge public policy debates that will define the future of work and e-commerce. We engage a diverse coalition of stakeholders and communities to build effective advocacy campaigns that advance our public policy goals. We help the company see around corners to anticipate and adjust to rapidly evolving political and regulatory landscapes.
The Director of Public Engagement will be responsible for building and mobilizing public support for Instacart policy priorities. She/he will develop comprehensive advocacy campaign strategies, using tactics like coalition building, community organizing, and paid media to support proactive and reactive policy goals within and across markets.
This position can be located in San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Oversee the campaigns, partnerships and community affairs teams and workstreams
- Develop playbooks for winning advocacy campaigns in priority markets, working with Policy and Communications team colleagues to incorporate lobbying, grassroots, grasstops, earned and paid media tactics
- Conduct public opinion research to identify target audiences and shape messaging for policy advocacy campaigns
- Work with Communications colleagues and outside consultants on paid media strategies
- Build alliances with social justice, labor, food insecurity, small business, seniors, consumer advocates, and other civil society and private sector stakeholders to identify common policy priorities
- Oversee digital and in person mobilization of shoppers, customers and retailer partners to serve as public policy advocates with lawmakers, regulators and the media
- Manage coalitions, consultants and processes for advocacy campaigns
- You have 10+ years of political, nonprofit or corporate policy advocacy campaign experience with a track record of success
- You have experience using qualitative and quantitative public opinion research to guide campaign strategy and messaging
- You know how to build third party alliances and deploy grassroots and grasstops engagement towards advocacy goals
- You have the ability to manage a team responsible for multiple workstreams
- You are a strategic thinker with polished oral and written presentation skills
- You thrive under pressure and can balance long and short-term priorities to deliver results
- You are resourceful and entrepreneurial with a bias towards action
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-05