Director, Public Engagement
Purpose Brand, an award-winning Chicago public relations, brand and content marketing firm, seeks a dedicated Director of Public Engagement to support and help build its public involvement and community relations practice. The position’s primary function is to help the firm’s clients that sponsor transportation, infrastructure, and environmental projects work with the communities involved to share information, encourage participation, and incorporate feedback to create environments that work for everyone.
The Director of Public Engagement will work remotely until it is safe for Purpose Brand to return to its offices at 875 N. Michigan Avenue (formerly known as the John Hancock Building).
The new Director of Public Engagement will work with the SVP of Public Engagement to meet two goals
- To help lead the execution of public involvement projects for federal, state and local transportation and environmental projects, beginning with the Environmental Assessment of the Terminal Area Plan at O’Hare.
- To help build a vibrant public involvement practice for Purpose Brand, creating opportunities for sustainability, engagement and justice in communities across Chicago and the nation.
Second chair the production of the Environmental Assessment of the Terminal Area Plan at O’Hare and the related public involvement, which includes
Overseeing production of production of several drafts and a completed version of the 1,000+ page document, distribution of the document to 750+ stakeholders.
Coordinating public involvement including strategy and messaging; planning and execution of virtual and in-person public meetings and hearings, placement of legal notices, production of videos, exhibits, and handouts; collection of and response to thousands of public and agency comments; and ensuring compliance with federal public engagement laws and regulations.
Help build the public engagement practice at Purpose Brand, teaming with environmental, transportation, and engineering firms to offer public involvement and other communications services on projects throughout Chicago and the region.
Coordinate a team of communicators to execute the community engagement/public involvement projects, including writers and editors, graphic artists, production experts, virtual meeting producers, etc.
Partner with the SVP of Public Engagement and the Purpose Brand executive team to scale the business, keeping the values of Purpose Brand at the forefront as the company grows.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a communications field, journalism, public relations, public policy, or other relevant area that demonstrates good writing and thinking skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in communications, public relations, public policy or related field
- Familiarity with public involvement for major infrastructure or environmental projects
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to organize your work and the work of others
- Keen problem-solving skills
- Experience in event coordination
- Document management skills
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
- Full health benefits
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-28