Director, Public and Government Affairs
What you’ll do…
The Director, Global Public Policy – Economist provides overall direction by analyzing public policy proposals for their economic impact on Walmart and its stakeholders. This individual will identify trends that will shape public policy discourse and provide insight on how to promote Walmart’s interests in response to those trends as well as translate economic analysis for consumption by policy makers and the media in support of the government relations and communications teams.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Analyzing legislation, regulations, and other public policy proposals impacting Walmart’s operations, customers, associates, and communities.
- Collecting, analyzing, and communicating economic and financial data with relevance to Walmart’s purpose.
- Preparing timely economic analyses for Walmart leadership to facilitate decision making related to policy decisions, advocacy, and communications.
- Identifying and tracking economic trends relevant to Walmart’s public policy concerns.
- Engaging economic policy thought leaders on topics of importance to Walmart and leveraging Walmart’s proprietary data to inform economic analyses and develop unique insights.
- Translating economic analyses for consumption by multiple audiences in support of the work of the government affairs and communications teams.
- As directed, representing company’s policy positions and initiatives with internal and external groups, including engagement with policymakers to discuss company positions; advancing the company’s position at industry and legislative events; making presentations at relevant conferences and panels; testifying at legislative hearings; and discussing key emerging issues or pending legislation with external stakeholders.
- Driving and overseeing the selection and performance of external economic consultants by identifying consultants consistent with analytical needs and available resources; managing the request for proposal process; negotiating contract and service terms; and leading the evaluation of consultant performance in terms of contract agreements and compliance with company policy.
- Developing and implementing strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent.
- Cultivating an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- You have a PhD in Economics
- You have 5 years’ experience in Policy & Economic analysis
- You are a strong communicator with the ability to translate economic analysis for stakeholders and collaborate across the organization
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, or related field and 5 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs, or related field OR 7 years’ experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs, or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Government Relations, Lobbying, Media Relations
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make, from responsible sourcing to sustainability—and everything in between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and hundreds of other industries—all while affecting the lives of millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an impact every day. What are you waiting for?
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity – unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Job posted: 2020-10-30