Director of Public Policy
The National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC) currently has an opening for a Director of Public Policy. NAMIC is the largest property/casualty insurance company trade association, with nearly 1,400 member companies serving more than 170 million auto, home, and business policyholders.
The Director of Public Policy will be responsible for providing the association and its membership with key policy expertise and analysis on legislative and regulatory issues of interest to the property/casualty insurance industry at the state, federal, and international levels. The ideal candidate is one who has the ability to work independently but is also ready and willing to collaborate as part of a team.
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert on legislative and regulatory developments at all levels of government and as a resource for NAMIC Government Affairs staff and member company staff.
- Serve as an integral part of the NAMIC Public Policy Team to ensure comprehensive issue coverage and support in conjunction with all Government Affairs Department advocates.
- Manage diverse issue portfolio and related member engagement for NAMIC including, but not limited to, providing SME assistance on natural catastrophe, auto insurance, cybersecurity, data privacy, and market conduct issues.
- Establish and maintain positive contacts with insurance regulators to advocate NAMIC’s strategic regulatory objectives, and serve as an active, visible industry representative at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Provide public policy support for advocacy initiatives including legislative/regulatory analysis outside of issue portfolio as needed.
- Provide direct advocacy coverage for legislative/regulatory entities as needed.
- Identify and develop emerging issues of priority to member companies and work closely with NAMIC policy groups on issue development.
- Develop position papers, testimony, and other advocacy pieces on legislation/regulation.
- Communicate on relevant issues to NAMIC membership in an effective, readily understandable manner through oral presentations, written articles, issue briefs, NAMIC web content, or other relevant NAMIC media publications.
Qualifications of this job include but are not limited to:
- Minimum 10 years of experience working on substantive public policy issues pertaining to the insurance industry either within a state or federal legislature or agency, trade association, or company.
- Familiarity with the property/casualty insurance industry required.
- Experience in issue management pertaining to natural catastrophes, auto insurance, and market conduct required.
- Property/casualty compliance procedure experience preferred.
- Prior experience in advocacy before government organizations preferred.
- Familiarity with trade associations preferred.
- Flexibility to travel on an “as needed” basis, up to about 30 percent of the time.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; J.D. or equivalent preferred.
NAMIC is a growing organization that has been advocating for a strong and vibrant insurance industry since its inception in 1895. This position includes a competitive compensation and benefits package. Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter that includes salary expectations to: email@example.com
NAMIC is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more, go to www.namic.org
Job posted: 2019-02-24