Director of Public Policy
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing…
Verizon is seeking an experienced professional with federal regulatory public policy experience who will be responsible for developing and advocating for the company’s public policy positions on major strategic issues involving tech and telecom matters pending before legislative and regulatory bodies. This position is responsible for influencing national policy debates in a way that will advance the company’s business interests and benefit the communities it serves. Candidates must have a strong understanding of technology policy and broadband-related issues pending before the FCC and Congress.
- Develop the company’s substantive public policy position on major strategic issues in collaboration with business and other government affairs professionals. Analyze regulatory and legislative decisions and academic policy reports to identify implications for the company’s business objectives and inform public policy positioning for the company.
- Work on complex legislative and regulatory issues where analysis of the situation or data requires an in-depth knowledge of technology policy issues, company policies and keen political relationships.
- Advocate for the company’s public policy positions in numerous arenas and in various forms, including written advocacy, policymaker meetings and external policy events, to advance the company’s interests.
- Lead efforts to develop and deliver messaging, speech materials, and presentation materials that effectively convey the company’s position on key policy issues to external policy audiences. Translate the company’s policy position into advocacy messaging that is relevant for various external audiences.
- Assist in the development of government affairs strategy, including leading policy advocacy campaigns.
- Position the company as a policy thought leader by leading the preparation of company position papers, public policy briefings, and presentations for targeted audiences. Stay abreast of the public policy landscape and anticipate emerging issues that could impact the business.
- Manage substantive policy collaboration with other companies, think tanks, academics, industry groups and policy influencers to build broad coalitions to support key policy issues.
- Develop, build and expand relationships with the Executive Branch of the federal government and educate technology-focused public policy officials on the company’s policy positions.
What we’re looking for…
- Exceptional depth of understanding of government relations and public policy. Industry experience within telecom, broadband, and internet policy issues is highly preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of relevant work experience (FCC, telecom policy, think tank, industry analyst, communications company, trade association, or Congressional office)
- JD preferred. Experience with a federal government agency or on Capitol Hill a plus.
- Knowledge of the Internet as a market, its technologies, and its evolution is preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and writing skills.
- Ability to translate complex topics into simple, understandable messaging for non-technical audiences.
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills. Experience presenting complex subjects to executive-level management a plus.
- Ability to quickly establish relationships and credibility with diverse groups of external and internal stakeholders. Existing relationships with tech policy-focused policymakers, thought leaders and/or think tank personnel a plus.
- Basic facility with economics and business concepts a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best.Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-13