Director, Public Policy
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Public Policy
Mastercard operates the world’s fastest payment processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Every day, everywhere, we use our technology and expertise to make payments safe, simple and smart. We know safety and security are the top priorities of our customers, cardholders and partners, so we won’t stand still in developing new and better ways to keep payments safe. Through our vision – a World Beyond Cash™ – we are advancing global social sustainability by giving people around the world greater access to the financial system, which, in turn, provides a larger and more diverse group of engaged contributors and participants.
We are seeking a Director, Public Policy based in Washington, D.C. This person will advocate for policies at the federal level and promote solutions throughout the U.S. to best protect and promote Mastercard in the public policy arena. This position reports to the Vice President, U.S. Public Policy.
• Identify, quantify, and prioritize emerging legislation that will impact Mastercard and its key customers.
• Develop policy positions and lead advocacy efforts, drawing upon a deep understanding of both the political marketplace and Mastercard’s priorities.
• Identify and foster relationships with third party allies and community groups who share Mastercard’s vision of financial inclusion and empowerment through the use of electronic payments.
• Coordinate strategy, identify deliverables, track results, and report progress to management across a wide-range of priority issues.
• Create and execute innovative programs at the local and national level to solve problems and strengthen standing with elected officials, community leaders, and customers.
• Build meaningful relationships with members of Congress, key staff, and other government officials.
• Communicate regularly with internal business line owners to ensure awareness of potential risks and benefits of various legislative initiatives.
• Manage various external consulting resources, associations, and coalitions to deliver policy results for Mastercard and customers.
• Work with internal product teams to help tailor Mastercard products and services to address specific public and private sector needs.
All About You:
Experience & Qualifications:
• High political acumen with a thorough understanding of the decision-making processes of executive and legislative branches of government.
• Experience working with elected officials, community leaders, industry associations, and corporate executives.
• A proven record of accomplishment in advancing and promoting important issues through third party advocates who share a common vision and goal.
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced and competitive environment.
• An ability to work with a wide range of personalities and interests, including industry colleagues, policymakers, staffers, academics, community leaders, and internal executives.
• A propensity for delivering results through teamwork and collaboration with colleagues.
• Polished and comfortable speaking in front of internal executives, as well as large external audiences
• Demonstrated orientation towards business growth.
• Deep integrity and excellent values that immediately generates respect and trust.
• Selfless attitude and commitment to the team.
• Organized and detail-oriented.
• A pride of ownership for all individual and team outputs.
• Passionate to learn and improve.
• Innovative, creative, and driven to succeed.
• Effective communicator who can write and explain complicated issues in simple terms.
• A natural energy and positive attitude.
• Self-aware of strengths and weaknesses.
• Fair and respectful in every setting.
• Senate ties preferred.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-128379
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-11