Director of Public Policy
About this job
- Analyze, define and communicate critical Medicare Advantage trends in legislative or regulatory environments; identify or predict likely legislative or regulatory outcomes.
- Have primary federal policy development responsibility for Humana public policies related to Medicare Advantage, but may also be engaged in issues related to value-based payment reform, ESRD, and social risk determinants.
- Lead policy development for initiatives on the future of the Medicare Advantage program to inform thought leadership, advocacy, and overall strategic positioning.
- Leverage experience and relationships to conduct direct advocacy with senior CMS officials (in partnership with, and under the direction of, the VP and AVP of Public Policy).
- Provide proactive strategic counsel to senior business leadership anticipating legislative and regulatory trends and translating those into actionable business and legislative or regulatory solutions/strategy.
- Partner with the VP and AVP of Public of Policy to advance Humana policy priorities through affiliated trade organizations, including AHIP and the Better Medicare Alliance.
- Partner with business leadership to identify business risks and opportunities in external policy developments.
- Work with internal business partners to identify assets Humana has to augment public policy positions such as: data; resources; subject matter experts; and corporate “thought leaders.”
- Assure philosophical consistency in policy approaches across the enterprise.
- Develop regulatory and legislative responses to proposed rules/laws.
Key Candidate Qualifications
The successful candidate will have extensive experience (typically 8+ years) in health policy – preferably in Medicare/Medicare Advantage or similar government programs. This person will also have experience in federal government or direct understanding of how government entities operate and interact on health policy and government program related issues. Key to success will be a proven track record of applied analysis, research, and resource development supporting healthcare policy, and translating information from diverse resources into actionable policy documents for use in an advocacy setting or otherwise. A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in health/public policy, economics or health care administration, although a Master’s degree will be a strong plus.
In addition to the above, the following professional qualifications and personal attributes are also sought:
- Solid understanding of relevant policy and regulatory issues and ability to translate complex issues in clear, concise manner to business leaders and advocacy team (technical and non-technical audiences)
- A passion for the development of innovative, high quality government healthcare programs
- Experience working in a matrixed organization, with proven ability to work collaboratively through various departments and functional areas, promoting a culture of proactive teamwork.
- Strong conceptual and creative thinker with an ability to identify trends and interrelationships
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the polish, poise, and executive presence that will ensure effective interaction with senior and executive level audiences
- Strong creative problem-solving, negotiation, and multi-tasking skills in time-sensitive settings.
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills with ability to build strong working relationships, internally and externally.
- Ability to meet clearly stated expectations and take responsibility for achieving results
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-16