Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Policy
The Director of Public Policy, a newly created position, leads the development and execution of Educational Alliance’s policy work to influence legislative and budget outcomes to positively impact vulnerable New Yorkers. While the work seeks to advance policy change at the municipal, state, and federal level, EA’s policy agenda is informed by direct experience in the communities in which EA is based-the Lower East Side and East Village. This position serves as a liaison to external partners and coalitions of organizations whose mission and policy agenda is aligned with EA. The Director of Public Policy collaborates across the EA community centers and departments and works in partnership with EA’s Director of Research & Evaluation.
This role reports to the Chief Program Officer and works closely with EA’s Executive Team to ensure the strategic focus continues to address the needs of New York’s most vulnerable communities.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead, develop and execute a strategy to advance city, state, and federal policy; remain informed about and responsive to shifts in policy directions
- Position EA as a critical thought partner in issues related to the needs of vulnerable families and offer innovative program and policy initiatives that support and lift up the voice of community members
- Build and direct strong, well-designed policy strategies that incorporate legislative change, community organizing and public education; ensure the involvement of community leaders and partner organizations in promoting agreed-upon policy priorities
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, state, and federal elected officials, education influencers, members of policy foundations, coalitions, and key partners to advance policy goals for EA
- Serve as one of EA’s primary policy experts by representing EA in discussions and presentations with external stakeholders
- Build relationships that create and enable opportunities for EA to share research and program lessons, build broad-based understanding and support for policy priorities and foster deeper policy partnerships
- With the support of our communications team create tools, reports and op-eds that promote our policy agenda
- Monitor and identify relevant federal, state and local policies and prepare appropriate policy analysis, as needed
- Analyze white papers, laws, publications, briefs, case studies and monitor proposed policy efforts at the local, state, and federal levels that will impact EA’s mission
- Ability to model EA’s values
- A deep understanding of tactics to drive a policy strategy
- Outstanding policy analysis and development skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Constructive and effective relationship building across diverse sectors and ideologies
- 7+ years of professional experience in relevant fields or functions, including at least 5 years in positions related specifically to government affairs, policy, or advocacy
- Deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; supports the building of an organization that reflects the community EA serves; holds self and others accountable for centering equity
- A broad understanding of policies that pertain to low-income families and communities of color
- Knowledge of legislative and administrative processes
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse audiences including public officials, coalition partners, and community leaders
- Strong political acumen and significant experience navigating complex environments to derive creative solutions.
- Deep understanding of and commitment to issues impacting vulnerable New Yorkers
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including building and maintaining coalitions
- Strong self-motivation; ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities
This opening will remain posted until Wednesday, December 15th. Do not wait to apply! We consider applications on a rolling basis and may not wait until the deadline to interview and extend offers.
Salary: $100,000 – $110,000 a year based on previous experience
We offer competitive salaries, paid time off, excellent benefits including but not limited to a free gym membership at the Manny Cantor Fitness Center / 14th Street Y, and a pleasant working environment.
COVID Vaccination Policy:
Educational Alliance mandates that all staffers are fully vaccinated in an effort to protect the health and safety of our community. New employees must be fully vaccinated by Monday, September 13th, and will be required to show proof of vaccination by showing their physical vaccination card or using the Excelsior Pass or other government-sanctioned vaccine app. All vaccine-related information will be kept private under HIPAA regulations by EA and its employees.
If employees have a qualifying medical exemption or sincerely held religious belief that prevents them from getting that vaccine, they should request a Reasonable Accommodation Form from the Human Resources department, which will be reviewed by the Chief People and Equity Officer as well as HR representatives. Employees may be required to substantiate their request for exemption with the appropriate documentation. Staff will not be subject to discrimination or retaliation based on their vaccination status.
Educational Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Educational Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further information about Educational Alliance, please visit https://edalliance.org.
Job posted: 2021-12-23