Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Policy
Who We Are:
The Alliance for Decision Education (“the Alliance”) is a non-profit education organization leading the growing call to have decision-making skills taught in schools across the country by 2030. Increasingly, teachers, parents, and business leaders all are advocating for students to learn the skills to make sound choices; improving their lives and those of others around them. We are dedicated to the belief that better decisions lead to better lives and a better society. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering students with essential decision skills. For more information, please visit www.AllianceForDecisionEducation.org.
The Alliance for Decision Education is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and encourages inclusivity. We are committed to building and fostering a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more diverse we are, the better our work will be, and the more impact we will have.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Public Policy advocates for and works to implement Decision Education policies across multiple states. They will oversee and partner with a network of state-based lobbyists and advocates to create state policy-making strategies and establish affirmative policy changes to make Decision Education a part of all students’ learning experiences.
We expect the Director of Public Policy to work primarily from the Alliance office in Bala Cynwyd, PA once the organization returns to a hybrid schedule, likely this spring. In special circumstances, we will consider long-term remote work for candidates who are not local to our office. This individual will be expected to travel 30-50% of time.
- Develop and drive a comprehensive and strategic policy plan for the Alliance
- Launch and lead key state policy campaigns to incorporate Decision Education in K-12 learning
- In collaboration with state-based lobbyists and activities:
- Build relationships and meet with state-based lobbyists and advocates, local officials/interest groups (e.g. education officials, teachers’ unions, district staff, etc.), local policy makers (e.g., legislators and state agencies), and potential allies and advocates (including students, parents, teachers, influencers, think tanks, advocacy groups)
- Craft legislative language, ensure timely introduction of bills, and strategize for legislative meetings
- Influence regulatory action from the relevant state agencies (e.g. the state board of education)
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity in the state education systems and the national education landscape
- Partner with the Alliance’s Community and Partnerships Department in executing outreach and mobilizing campaign goals and objectives
- Collaborate with the Alliance’s Communications Department on crafting language and various collateral materials
- Leverage and work with the existing Alliance network (including staff, Board, Advisory Council, Ambassadors, and other advocates) to further policy goals
- 7+ years of experience in policy work and a track record of establishing affirmative change, preferably in the education space and preferably across multiple states
- Significant experience leading policy campaigns and crafting and introducing legislation
- Significant experience building relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- J.D. or Masters or Doctorate in Public Policy or related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of or experience in a field related to Decision Sciences is a plus.
- General Attributes
- Strategic leader with strong execution skills
- Strong judgment; awareness, and understanding of a variety of audiences
- High energy, emotional maturity, and integrity; gracious professionalism and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Committed to building credible and lasting relationships and working collaboratively with staff, state-based lobbyists and advocates, and external stakeholders; team player with a passion for the mission and the success of the organization
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude and the imagination and ability to initiate and innovate
- Thrives on managing a variety of initiatives concurrently; able to create schedules and keep deadlines
- Responsible, conscientious, and organized with a strong attention to detail
- Actively open-minded and intellectually curious
- Committed to educational equity and culturally competent
- Technologically proficient
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions and focus
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Alliance employees receive a comprehensive benefits package (including health and dental insurance completely covered for you and your family, a 401k with up to 5% match, and long term disability insurance), generous paid time off and sick-time policies, a laptop, and other tools and resources to help employees do their best work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-25