Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Policy
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is seeking a Director of Public Policy to focus on developing and executing public policy and advocacy priorities in support of the digital advertising and media industry. The Director will be responsible for a wide range of activities, from building relationships with key federal and state policymakers to analyzing federal and state legislative and regulatory activity as it impacts the digital marketplace. The ideal candidate is highly dedicated, self-motivated, a strong communicator and team player, and is very interested in the intersection of advertising, media, and technology. The position is based in Washington, DC, with occasional travel to New York City and other destinations as needed to address relevant policy developments. The Director will report to the Executive Vice President of Public Policy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the development of public policy positions responsive to the concerns of our membership, including work on related research, communications, and events.
- Serve as a registered lobbyist before Congress and conduct advocacy with Members and staff to advance our policy agenda, especially on data privacy and related issues.
- Provide our Board and membership with regular updates on policy developments and their implications for the ad-supported internet ecosystem.
- Perform detailed analysis of legislation, regulation, and self-regulatory proposals to inform our engagement on policy impacting digital advertising.
- Represent the digital advertising industry in a variety of settings, ranging from Congressional roundtables to industry working groups.
- At least 5 years of public policy/government relations experience
- Working knowledge of the digital advertising industry and of related internet/technology policy
- Bachelor’s Degree
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels; create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging; and persuasively deliver messaging to relevant audiences.
- Interject points intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way.
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to digital advertising industry in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
- Think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others. Be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen. Ability to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
- Strong skills in advocacy and using spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform.
- Demonstrated experience working within government, companies, consultancies, trade associations, or equivalent organizations.
- Prior experience with steep learning curves.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to travel on a semi-frequent basis.
All IAB Employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment and, therefore, prior to job offer and hire. Religious and medical exemptions will be provided to the extent required.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) empowers the media and marketing industries to thrive in the digital economy. Its membership comprises more than 650 leading media companies, brands, and the technology firms responsible for selling, delivering, and optimizing digital ad marketing campaigns. The trade group fields critical research on interactive advertising, while also educating brands, agencies, and the wider business community on the importance of digital marketing. In affiliation with the IAB Tech Lab, IAB develops technical standards and solutions. IAB is committed to professional development and elevating the knowledge, skills, expertise, and diversity of the workforce across the industry. Through the work of its public policy office in Washington, D.C., the trade association advocates for its members and promotes the value of the interactive advertising industry to legislators and policymakers. Founded in 1996, IAB is headquartered in New York City.
More information at https://www.iab.com/
Job posted: 2022-04-30