Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Policy
Who We Are:
The Alliance for Decision Education (“the Alliance”) is a non-profit education organization leading the growing call to have decision-making skills, or Decision Education, taught in schools K-12 across the country. We believe that equipping students with skills proven to drive better decisions will enable them to perform better in school and in life, improving health, finances, family outcomes, and their communities. Our work is backed by a growing number of teachers, parents, researchers, and business leaders who have seen Decision Education improve students’ lives and the lives of those around them. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering students with essential decision skills. For more information, please visit us at www.alliancefordecisioneducation.org.
The Alliance is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and encourages inclusivity. We are committed to building and fostering a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more diverse we are, the better our work will be, and the more impact we will have.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Public Policy advocates for and works to implement Decision Education policies across multiple states. They will oversee and partner with a network of state-based lobbyists and advocates to create state policy-making strategies and establish affirmative policy changes to make Decision Education a part of all students’ learning experiences.
We expect this individual to adhere to the Alliance’s hybrid work schedule, working both remotely and from our office in Bala Cynwyd, PA. In special circumstances, we will consider full-time remote work for candidates who are not local to our office. Fully remote candidates will be expected to travel into the office occasionally.
- Develop and drive a comprehensive and strategic policy plan for the Alliance
- Launch and lead key state policy campaigns to incorporate Decision Education in K-12 learning
- In collaboration with state-based lobbyists and activities:
- Build relationships and meet with state-based lobbyists and advocates, local officials/interest groups (e.g. education officials, teachers’ unions, district staff, etc.), local policy makers (e.g., legislators and state agencies), and potential allies and advocates (including students, parents, teachers, influencers, think tanks, advocacy groups)
- Craft legislative language, ensure timely introduction of bills, and strategize for legislative meetings
- Influence regulatory action from the relevant state agencies (e.g. the state board of education)
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity in the state education systems and the national education landscape
- Partner with the Alliance’s Community and Partnerships Department in executing outreach and mobilizing campaign goals and objectives
- Collaborate with the Alliance’s Communications Department on crafting language and various collateral materials
- Leverage and work with the existing Alliance network (including staff, Board, Advisory Council, Ambassadors, and other advocates) to further policy goals
- 7+ years of experience in policy work and a track record of establishing affirmative change, preferably in the education space and preferably across multiple states
- Significant experience leading policy campaigns and crafting and introducing legislation
- Significant experience building relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- J.D. or Masters or Doctorate in Public Policy or related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of or experience in a field related to Decision Sciences is a plus.
- General Attributes
- Strategic leader with strong execution skills
- Strong judgment; awareness, and understanding of a variety of audiences
- High energy, emotional maturity, and integrity; gracious professionalism and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Committed to building credible and lasting relationships and working collaboratively with staff, state-based lobbyists and advocates, and external stakeholders; team player with a passion for the mission and the success of the organization
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude and the imagination and ability to initiate and innovate
- Thrives on managing a variety of initiatives concurrently; able to create schedules and keep deadlines
- Responsible, conscientious, and organized with a strong attention to detail
- Actively open-minded and intellectually curious
- Committed to educational equity and culturally competent
- Technologically proficient
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions and focus
We offer our employees a comprehensive Total Rewards package which includes: competitive compensation that is commensurate with experience, health and dental insurance that is 100% employer-paid for both the employee and their dependents, long-term disability (LTD) insurance, a 401(k) plan with a dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%, generous paid time off (PTO), equipment and supplies to work remotely, and other resources to help employees do their best work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-12