Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Policy
Full Job Description
Primarily responsible for the management and execution of the chamber’s public policy department and be its primary advocate representing the interests of Asian Pacific Islander (API) owned businesses. This position reports directly to the President/CEO and is responsible for building and maintaining partnerships among a variety of stakeholders. In addition, this position plays an integral role in working toward accomplishing the organization’s mission to expand opportunities for AAPI businesses.
- Develop and execute the Chamber’s legislative agenda in conjunction with its CEO at the direction of the National Asian/Pacific Islander American Chamber of Commerce and Entrepreneurship (National ACE).
- Work closely with President/CEO in developing and guiding the overall strategy in public policy and related activities.
- Responsible for leading policy initiatives to promote the Chamber’s values, plans, and policies.
- Represent the Chamber’s interests at public meetings and forums as necessary and advocate the Chamber’s interests on behalf of its members.
- Serve as primary contact for National ACE to all external media as it relates to the public policy arena while serving as the National ACE’s primary public policy advocate at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Prepare communications to keep Chamber members informed of issues and actions, and contribute to other internal and external communications including Chamber newsletters, emails, website and Board of Directors reports.
- Direct, oversee and manage all National ACE departmental related activities, including executing signature events and its budget.
- Secure fundraising targets as it relates to the public policy departmental budget goals.
- Facilitate the work of the Public Policy Committee and lead its monthly meetings.
- Lead and manage the National ACE PAC Strategy and work closely with the PAC’s Executive Director to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Provide leadership and manage the public policy lobbyist and consultants.
- Manage internal staff, including interviews/hires new employees, ensures appropriate training, conduct performance reviews, counsel employees and take appropriate discipline action.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Political Science, Social Science or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience serving as a legislative advocate and/or policy advisor in the private, public, or social sector.Minimum of 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in monitoring, analyzing, and/or drafting legislation.
- Master’s degree or JD, preferred.
- Direct experience working in legislative and regulatory environment a plus.
- Working knowledge of webinar platforms.
- Prior project management and public speaking experience.
- Proficient knowledge of computers and applicable computer software applications, including specific knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Outstanding writing, presentation, and oral skills before small and large audiences.
- Highly organized: ability to track, balance and execute multiple priorities successfully.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong, trusting relationships with elected officials, their staff, department and agency personnel, allied business and trade groups, and stakeholders.
- A passion for civic engagement with direct experience advocating for policies with office holders and appointed regulatory Boards.
- Establish and maintain effective, cooperative working relationships with ACE’s employees, vendors, and stakeholders and work effectively in a team environment.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner as defined by ACE policy.
About National Asian/Pacific Islander American Chamber of Commerce & Entrepreneurship
National ACE is a dynamic organization with a mission to advance the economic stability and prosperity of the Asian/Pacific Islander business community in the US. We have a positive, supportive culture and a highly skilled and empowering management team. Our team is collaborative and diverse, making for a dynamic work environment. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to work on important, impactful projects and take advantage of professional development opportunities. We highly recommend considering this opportunity to be part of our mission-driven organization.
National ACE considers a variety of factors when formulating an offer, including but not limited to, the specific role and associated responsibilities; a candidate’s work experience, education/training, skills, expertise; and internal equity. In addition, National ACE provides strong benefits including health insurance coverage, retirement plan, paid time-off and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer: race/color/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/vet
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 – $120,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to apply.
Job posted: 2023-01-10