Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director Public Policy – Evidence & Data
ABOUT McKesson Public Affairs
McKesson’s unique 360-degree view of the healthcare ecosystem provides us a distinctive vantage point. Our public and regulatory policy priorities are driven by the core belief that the Patient Comes First. McKesson’s Public Affairs team monitors and manages impacts to our business environment in support of our mission, our customers, and the patients they serve. Public Affairs integrates public and regulatory policy analysis and development, stakeholder engagement, policy communications and advocacy. Our bipartisan and proactive public policy advocacy campaigns leverage team expertise across all functional areas. We serve as a trusted business advisor and play an integral role in catalyzing business strategic growth initiatives. Our policy brand is built on thought leadership and the ability to find common ground with stakeholders. It is our goal to offer differentiated, novel, and actionable solutions steeped in empirical evidence and sound public policy . We seek candidates who are intellectually curious, creative problem solvers that thrive off collaboration in a fast-paced environment.
ABOUT DIRECTOR, PUBLIC POLICY POSITION
McKesson’s Public Policy team is seeking a public policy professional with deep evidence and data policy expertise, as well as demonstrated success engaging key policy makers and influencers. The role also demands candidates with a proven track record of working with key federal agencies such as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC), and others.
The Director of Public Policy, Evidence and Data, works closely with the Vice President of Public Policy to inform and execute our policy and advocacy initiatives to advance the use of health information technology and real-world data to improve patient outcomes, fuel clinical innovation and advance patient-centric value-based care. This role is critical to informing our advocacy efforts on a range of topics including data interoperability, information blocking, patient-directed data sharing, data standards, real-world data/evidence, patient engagement, and clinical research. This is not a lobbying role, but rather demands a substantive policy professional with a keen understanding of the intersection between public policy and business strategy.
McKesson Public Affairs utilizes an integrated advocacy campaign model. Public Policy works closely with business and corporate leadership to ideate and drive our regulatory, legislative, advocacy priorities and strategies. The Director of Public Policy, Evidence and Data, is uniquely positioned to advance McKesson’s leadership and policy brand in healthcare and related public policy and advocacy.
- In collaboration with the VP of Public Policy, creates and executes evidence and data policy advocacy strategy, including monitoring and influencing regulatory and legislative landscape.
- Serves as evidence and data policy subject matter expert on a range of issues impacting key stakeholders, including biopharma and device manufacturers, health plans, technology developers, providers, and patients.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive knowledge of evolving business strategy reliant on use of evidence and data through sustained engagement with internal subject matter experts and business leaders.
- Advances substantive policy relationships with prioritized Federal Agencies (see above), in addition to other Executive Branch influencers from the Office of Management and Budget to the White House Domestic Policy and National Economic Councils.
- Generates timely and insightful policy intelligence through direct relationships with policymakers and stakeholders that would meaningfully inform business partners on market trends, competitive risks, and opportunities addressable through policy engagement.
- Communicates public policy implications effectively to senior business leaders and internal network. Generates internal communications to meet differing audience needs.
- Translates policy activities into actionable and measurable initiatives that support the company’s business objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Sophisticated understanding of value-based healthcare and the evolving role of RWD/E and how this is impacted by the range of HIT policies impacting data generation and use (e.g., HIPAA, HITECH, information blocking, interoperability, patient decisional empowerment through data use while also being mindful of protecting PHI.
- Strategic business and financial acumen at the intersection with public policy.
- A deep understanding of the federal government ecosystem and its impacts on healthcare policy.
- Strong track record of developing and executing, from start to finish, public policy solutions in response to legislative, regulatory, or business priorities.
- Demonstrated relationships and success engaging key evidence and data policy influencers (e.g., Federal Agencies, Congressional committee experts and extra-governmental subject matter experts).
- Experience amplifying public policy advocacy through direct engagement with policymakers, stakeholders, and the broader public policy community through strategic partnerships or forging shared interest coalitions and forums.
- Understanding of biopharma drug and device development process, including role of health economics and outcomes research, and evolving clinical trial / research approach (e.g., decentralized clinical trials).
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytics skills with ability to link impact of policy solutions on business priorities and their associated regulatory market risks and opportunities.
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal), including ability to translate complex policy issues and impact to business executives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of ten years relevant, post-college experience in healthcare policy.
- Corporate and federal healthcare agency, or biopharma and device industry experience a plus.
- A graduate degree in health policy, public health, public policy, or similar healthcare academic graduate degree is required.
Please apply using the following link: https://mckesson.wd3.
Job posted: 2023-01-08