Director – Public Policy & Government Affairs #20-56044
At Sempra Energy, we are united by our vision and committed to living our values: doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. We’re delivering reliable energy to over 35 million consumers across North America, with a high-performance workforce anchored in these values and motivated to further Sempra’s role as a premier energy infrastructure company.
A career at Sempra Energy presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
Participates in the execution of Sempra Energy’s federal/international regulatory and policy programs as well as maintains strong strategic relationships with members of Congress and their staff, executive branch offices, and specified federal agencies. Analyzes federal and international public policy as well as recommends positions and strategies that advance Sempra’s business objectives. Works directly with business unit leaders and subject matter experts to identify legislative and regulatory risks and opportunities.Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and analyzes domestic and international regulatory domestic policies on behalf of the company.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with international and domestic organizations, officials and regulatory leaders.
- Supports internal process to track and assess legislative and regulatory policy.
- Analyzes risks and opportunities.
- Assists with the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of Sempra Energy and its business units.
- Supports federal permitting for company infrastructure projects and other business initiatives.
- Represents company at industry trade groups and develop extensive relationships with industry peers and other stakeholder groups.
- Manages consultants and other external resources as assigned.
- Participates in the planning and execution of Sempra Energy’s federal political and PAC strategy including budget draft, preparing funding requests, coordination and attendance at events.
- Provides input to business unit leaders and subject matter experts on political risks and counsel Sempra business units on their governmental and regulatory strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree Law, political science, public administration and/or equivalent experience in governmental or regulatory affairs. Required
- Master’s Degree Law, political science, public administration and/or equivalent experience in governmental or regulatory affairs. Preferred Preferred
- 10+ Progressive experience in foreign policy, public policy and government affairs Required
- 5+ Experience in the Energy sector Preferred
- Writing skills with the ability to synthesize complex legislative and regulatory concepts into understandable and relatable terms. Advanced
- Negotiation skills aimed at bringing divergent opinions to the forefront to ensure understanding of all sides of an issue. Advanced
- Public Speaking skills – must be able to make remarks at formal events and make keynote presentations, lead communications with and among key officials in a manner strategically directed toward achieving desired outcomes and bring together diverse stakeholders in a productive manner around priority issues. Advanced
- Analytical skills – ability to detect, assess and seamlessly respond to challenging and potentially awkward situations in high profile settings. Advanced
- Interpersonal skills – ability to build and maintain positive and productive working relationships with and among key stakeholders including elected and appointed officials of which some may hold an unfavorable view of the company or its priorities. Advanced
- Influence and Strategy – ability to read an audience or group to understand risks and opportunities. Ability to negotiate and steer conversations to make all involved parties feel understood and respected while still pursuing key issues. Advanced
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-07