Director, Public Policy and Government Affairs, Strategy and Campaigns, YouTube
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of work experience, including experience managing high-profile policy campaigns and strategic outreach with diverse stakeholders within policy advocacy or in a government position.
- Experience in internet technologies, new media, content moderation and the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience in the technology industry.
- Experience executing cross-functional projects.
- Experience working across an international organization.
- Ability to work as part of a team and exercise good judgment and a sense of humor in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Public Policy team, you help shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
In this role, you’ll help shape Google’s policy efforts relating to YouTube, including managing strategic outreach and policy campaigns to advance the values and interests of the YouTube community. You’ll coordinate with the global policy team, the YouTube business and product organizations and key cross-functional partners in Marketing, Legal and PR to execute our policy strategy, develop our external narrative around key policy challenges and advise product teams through the public policy lens.
As a Director, you will develop, organize, manage and communicate critical plans, initiatives and strategy. Additionally, you will provide project management to support key strategic and operational priorities of YouTube and the policy organization.
Technology moves quickly, so it’s important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect the Internet and our users. We advocate for Google on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates. In this role, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You’ll apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player eager to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
- Develop and lead strategic outreach and policy campaigns to shape public and political dialogue in a way that benefits YouTube’s users and the wider web. Develop cross-functional initiatives with the marketing and business organizations.
- Engage directly and build relations with policymakers, trade associations, industry partners, key opinion formers, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused online environment and an open internet.
- Build external relationships strategically to help shape public and political dialogue. Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues and thought leaders.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues and work cross-functionally to develop policy positions for review by YouTube’s Policy, Legal and Management teams.
- Lead framework and our policy strategy for issues including media regulation, copyright and net neutrality.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-03