San Francisco, CA
Zagster is a leader in the bike sharing industry, with a mission to make the bike the most loved form of transportation and we’re looking for a stellar Director of Public Policy & Government Relations to help us make this happen.
Bike sharing is a $1B+ market segment of the sharing economy, that is moving beyond the early adopters to become mainstream, and Zagster is capitalizing on the opportunity. We’ve recently raised $10 million in Series B funding and operate more than 150 bike sharing programs, with clients such as Princeton University, Fort Collins Colorado, General Motors and Equity Properties.
We are seeking a Director of Public Policy and Government Relations as our first public policy hire to be our primary interface with elected officials in state capitols and city halls around the country. In this role, you will develop policy positions and the strategies to drive legislative and regulatory outcomes, for the benefit of the bike sharing ecosystem. In addition, we need someone who can advance our public policy objectives with state and local policymakers. In order to be successful, you will understand the complexities of municipal regulations, make friends fast, and clearly communicate complex ideas. This role will report to the Vice President of Sales, and you will work closely with the Zagster leadership and legal teams. This role is based in either our Cambridge headquarters or our rapidly growing San Francisco office. If you have experience in government and/or government relations, we are interested in talking to you.
What you’ll do:
- Shape Zagster’s public policy and government relations strategy in consultation with our management team, then thoughtfully and effectively execute it
- Cultivate and maintain robust relationships with key elected and appointed officials
- Educate state and local policy makers on bike sharing and transportation issues
- Build relationships and advocate with policymakers to drive Zagster’s public policy objectives in legislation and regulations
- Unite our members and riders to drive policy progress through the power of their voice.
- Manage Zagster’s external consulting team
- Collaborate with bicycling advocates to facilitate coordinated policy efforts and enhance the value we provide to communities.
- Build a scalable policy playbook for engaging with policy makers in adjacent local markets as well as new geographies
- Build and manage a team of regulatory experts, strategists and lobbyists.
- Assist with strategic business development, partnerships, and contract negotiations.
- Represent Zagster at industry and community events
- Work directly with Zagster’s CEO and executive team
Who you are:
- Experience developing the policy playbook for a high-growth company within a regulated space, preferably consumer facing.
- Demonstrated track-record for getting stuff done at rapid pace through combination of raw grit + strategy + risk/reward balancing
- Familiarity with local and state-level regulatory process and thus an understanding of the effective tools and strategies available, and pattern recognition for which strategies map across industries and which do not.
- Excellent consensus building skills
- A formidable network of domain experts within relevant policy verticals
- Local and state level policy experience
- Legal background
- Competitive salary and equity structure
- We offer amazing health benefits, including PPO healthcare, PPO dental, vision, and gym reimbursement.
- We’re dog friendly (Cambridge only)
- Work with incredibly talented and passionate colleagues.
- You get a bike!
Learn more here
Job Posted: August 16, 2017