Director, Public Policy and Government Relations, YouTube
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 12 years of experience working within government, think tanks, public interest groups and/or technology industry groups or corporations.
- Experience in the technology industry or with Internet technologies, new media and the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience working and executing strategies with international teams and stakeholders.
- Experience successfully managing a team.
- Excellent track record in management.
- Ability to lead and evaluate issues independently and in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and communications skills and high attention to detail.
About the job
You are a collaborative visionary who will help lead YouTube’s global Public Policy team. As a member of YouTube’s Public Policy team, you will help shape various policy issues with policy makers and influencers inside and outside government. In addition, you will direct and lead work advising our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team to help shape the policy landscape around pressing YouTube policy issues. You will also help lead the company’s efforts on controversial content by managing a team of subject matter experts on policy questions ranging from terrorism to misinformation.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing projects across a host of issues. You will coordinate with the global Policy team, the YouTube business and product organizations and key cross-functional partners in Product, Engineering, Legal and PR to design responses to policy challenges, develop our external narrative around key policy challenges and engage key stakeholders on tech policy issues of public interest.
As a Director, you will develop, organize, manage and communicate critical plans, initiatives and strategy. You will be able to track various regulatory proposals and analyze their potential impact on YouTube’s business, working with the global policy team to develop and implement strategy for shaping the public policy debate. You’ll provide project management to support key strategic and operational priorities of YouTube and the policy organization.
You have a leadership track record, excellent analytical and organizational skills and are able to communicate effectively in person and writing with an aptitude for learning. You can collaborate cross-functionally and are able to develop and implement creative ideas with the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. Additionally, you are a proven thought-leader who thrives in a rapidly changing environment and you will help manage a growing team, make budget decisions and assist in the annual planning and strategy process. You have experience either working with or in a corporate public policy team, government or Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
Technology moves quickly, so it’s important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect the Internet and our users. We advocate for Google on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates. In this role, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You’ll apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player eager to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
- Manage a policy team supporting YouTube to develop and lead a public policy strategy for the YouTube product and content. Work with a cross-functional team to design YouTube’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives and drive policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Build and manage a network of key executive stakeholder and influencer relationships to help shape a positive policy and regulatory environment and maintain an open Internet.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting YouTube and advising on various product areas.
- Engage directly with policymakers and key opinion formers to shape public and political dialogue. Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues.
- Advise the business and Product teams on policy implications during the product development and launch process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-04