Director, Public Policy & Research
The Minnesota Technology Association (MnTech) is a coalition of more than 200 member companies united in building a stronger tech ecosystem and innovation economy in Minnesota. We believe Minnesota’s technology-driven companies achieve the greatest success when they have access to exceptional talent, dedicated public policy advocates, and are part of an innovative, inclusive technology community. Each year, thousands of technology professionals make meaningful connections and advance their careers through MnTech’s programs, educational opportunities, and networking events. Learn more at www.mntech.org.
In advancing its public policy agenda, MnTech is guided by the following principles:
- We develop, support, and advocate for public policy that promotes the long-term growth, sustainability, and global competitiveness of Minnesota’s technology-based economy.
- We believe strong, consistent, focused leadership from the private sector, working in collaboration with academic, nonprofit and government partners, is the critical link in driving our state’s development and recognition as a global technology leader.
- We advocate for policies that strengthen Minnesota’s science and technology workforce, as well as those that leverage technology to increase government efficiency and improve and sustain Minnesota’s infrastructure.
MnTech will sponsor, support and/or respond to legislation that furthers these principles. Additionally, it will respond to issues and potential legislation that affect member companies and technology businesses in Minnesota as they arise.
The Director, Public Policy & Research, will conduct research and analysis on critical issues facing Minnesota’s technology sector, develop and implement a strategic policy agenda that advances MnTech’s mission, and build and mobilize support for policy initiatives. A key area of focus will be researching and assessing policy initiatives that can help Minnesota build the digitally-skilled workforce our business community needs for continued success, with an emphasis on building a more diverse pool of skilled tech talent.
- Facilitate the development of MnTech’s legislative advocacy agenda.
- Develop and manage programmatic initiatives and campaigns to support agendas.
- Proactively cultivate meaningful relationships with local, regional, state, and federal policy makers, candidates, and staff.
- Engage MnTech leaders and board members as appropriate in fostering relationships and influencing public policy.
- Work closely and collaboratively with MnTech’s lobbyist on legislative initiatives.
- Represent MnTech at key events, on committees, coalitions, and boards.
- Educate MnTech staff, board and committee members on key issues.
- Draft position papers, briefs, and legislative summaries as required.
- Testify in support of policy positions at legislative hearings and committee meetings.
- Build and nurture effective multi-organizational coalitions and alliances.
- Work closely with the Vice President, Talent Initiatives, to develop data-informed strategies for expanding the pool of skilled, diverse tech talent in Minnesota.
- Collaborate with initiatives such as CS4ALL to drive increased and enhanced computer science education in Minnesota schools.
- Actively engage with peers at other TECNA (Technology Councils of North America) organizations across the country to learn, share, and collaborate.
- During legislative session, provide periodic updates to be shared with MnTech member companies on status of key legislation.
We seek candidates who believe deeply in our organization’s mission, who thrive in a dynamic work environment, and who demonstrate a previous record of achievement. Ideal candidates will possess:
- Passion/curiosity for technology and innovation.
- Deep understanding and experience with public systems and policy.
- Five years or more of proven experience in issue advocacy and/or government affairs
- Demonstrated experience facilitating collaboration across organizations, particularly with business and government.
- Ability to build trusted relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently while simultaneously maintaining a team focus.
- Highly organized; able to prioritize between and within multiple assignments.
- Ability to think strategically, analytically, and creatively.
The starting salary range for this position is $75,000 – $95,000 and will be offered to the successful candidate at a level commensurate with experience. Salary is complemented by a full suite of benefits including health, dental, vision, life, STD and LTD insurance, paid time off and retirement plan. MnTech embraces a flexible work environment that values work productivity over place of work.
Job posted: 2021-11-14