Director, Public Policy & Strategic Initiatives
United Way of Broward County fights for the Health, Education and Financial Prosperity of every person in our Community.
General Description: The Director, Public Policy and Strategic Initiatitves will develop and execute United Way of Broward County’s (UWBC) public policy agenda; support UWBC’s programmatic priorities, drive community involvement and increase donor engagement around advocacy actions.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Develop and execute a public policy agenda that will support UWBC’s programmatic priorities.
- Educate local, state and federal elected officials on UWBC’s public policy agenda.
- Collaborate with Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention and the State of Florida’s local behavioral health contractor to support and implement its public policy priorities.
- Convene stakeholders and volunteers in a Public Policy Advisory Committee to prepare policy proposals for local, state, and federal officials.
- Partner with staff and contractors working with the United We End Homelessness Initiative to develop and advocate for policy solutions that help mitigate the homeless and affordable housing crisis in our community.
- Educate our community on our Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed (ALICE) population by planning and executing signature events and marketing campaigns to raise awareness about the needs of this group in our community.
Other Job Duties:
- Engage Community Impact Directors and Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention staff to identify public policy issues relating to UWBC priorities.
- Facilitate and/or conduct research and policy analysis related to UWBC public policy priorities.
- Prepare reports, newsletters, fact sheets and other communication tools to inform internal and external stakeholders about UWBC’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Present UWBC’s Public Policy Agenda to wide variety of audiences to increase community and stakeholder support and engagement. Build community coalitions around public policy issues where appropriate.
- Work with the Resource Development team to increase donor and affinity group engagement as advocates for UWBC’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Develop relationships with municipal, county and state elected officials.
- Monitor local, state and federal legislation, and its impact on UWBC’s priorities.
- Participate in local and state coalitions that align with UWBC’s priorities.
- Collaborate with United Way of Florida, and other local United Way organizations in Florida on issues impacting United Way priorities at the State level.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that the Director of Public Policy and Strategic Initiatives will be fully engaged in the organization’s crisis plan and response efforts and lead areas when needed.
- Works closely with, and fully supports the Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) committee to understand the strategic priorities that align with the agency goals.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Attendance at community events either sponsored by UWBC, or as an invited guest.
- Any other duties as required in the normal course of business at UWBC.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration or related field; Master’s Degree desirable.
- Demonstrated interest in or understanding of the local and state policy making process.
- Three years or more of experience in public policy, field advocacy, non-profit/social services management, program development, community relations or related service areas.
- Demonstrated ability to convene and mobilize diverse populations, including community groups, elected and non-elected policy makers, business leaders, professional staff and volunteers.
- Strong communicator – ability to write about and verbally present on public policy positions in a manner that is easy to understand for elected officials and the general public
- Commitment to UWBC’s mission of fighting for the health, education and financial prosperity of every person in our community.
- Ability to assess problems, issues and needs, and to develop an appropriate plan of action.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity, equity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-15