Director of Public Relations
Responsible for leading and directing the organization’s public relations strategy, setting the rhythm for the business in this area, and identifying effective tactics for rapid response to unexpected urgent matters including crisis and change management communications. The Director of Public Relations will identify goals that advance the long-term health of communications within the business to effectively propel it forward.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategic public relations programs and provide tactical support
- Develop and maintain successful relationships with the media and prepare press materials, statements, talking points, presentations and op-eds as needed for public relations activities
- Ensure appropriate and timely response to media under tight and sometimes urgent timelines; develop and implement effective communication activities in response to strategic priorities and crisis situations
- Proactively pitch and pursue placement in trade, national and international media outlets, including developing pitches, preparation and coordination of media interviews/briefings, and response to media inquiries
- Provide media and communications training and support to U.S. Xpress staff; prepare U.S. Xpress management for key interviews and speaking engagements
- Cultivate an environment of readiness and alertness amongst the Executives, Marketing Team and Operations to respond quickly and proactively to breaking news and events as they unfold
- Maintain an awareness of company risks and threats as they arise
- Project a positive company image to the public in all mediums and settings
- Manage media relations and public relations directly or via consultants
- In conjunction with HR and other internal teams, establish and maximize sponsorship and local community engagement opportunities
- Serve as a U. S. Xpress spokesperson when appropriate
- Ensure quality control of all information released through all channels and mechanisms
- Help create desired company culture through role modeling and participating in execution of strategic efforts
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
- 5 or more years of experience in public relations or other communications-focused environment.
- 5 or more years in a progressive communications, media or public relations leadership role preferred.
- Strategic mindset – able to “think on their toes” in order to convey the desired positive message in any situation both proactively, and reactively as needed
- Outgoing and confident in representing the company and its public relations program to internal and external stakeholders
- Enjoy building trusted relationships with internal and external resources
- Self-starter with positive outlook, flexible nature, and tenacious work style
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills.
Work Environment: this job operates in a normal professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines, and filing cabinets.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee must also be able to operate normal office equipment such as a computer, printer/scanner, telephone, etc.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-11