Director of Public Relations – (200000V9)
University of Maryland
The University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), Office of Public Affairs & Communication is currently seeking a Director of Public Relations to proactively communicate the School’s expanding and exciting portfolio of biomedical and life sciences discoveries and clinical innovations –with a specific focus on communicating the global leadership of the UMSOM’s renown Center for Vaccine Development & Global Health (CVD). Housed in both UMSOM’s Office of Public Affairs and in the CVD, and working on day-to-day basis with a full range of print, on-line, and broadcast news media, and national media outlets in particular, this position is responsible for developing and implementing the UMSOM’s and CVD’s plan for generating local/regional/national and international media coverage of the School’s and Center’s medical and scientific research, programs and activities, including the CVD’s active and innovative leadership in developing and testing vaccines and potential treatments for COVID-19. The position creates news releases, announcements, and other critical and complex communications – including translating scientific research articles — for both internal and external distribution. The Senior Officer participates in UMSOM/CVD information-gathering efforts, cultivating faculty contacts, identifying newsworthy information and working closely with digital, broadcast, print and on-line media, representatives, reporters and health/ medical/ science editors to communicate strategic SOM/CVD stories.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Develop and implement ongoing public relations strategies and initiatives that align with the mission and strategic priorities of the UMSOM and CVD– particularly those that related to the School and CVD’s mission of biomedical research, discovery and innovation.
- Oversee operational effectiveness within the public relations function to maximize news distribution channels, streamline policies and procedures, ensure 24/7 news cycle coverage and a robust beat structure across basic science, clinical, and corporate areas.
- Oversee production of public informational materials to a target audience, including the use of social-and multi-media. Researches, writes, edits, and summarizes information – often of a scientific or technical nature –to print, broadcast, and on-line media outlets.
- React to/and interact with media representatives – particularly those who cover medicine, health care and life sciences — to develop and maintain relationships, pitch School of Medicine academic and research programs and activities, and respond to media inquiries.
- Proactively meet and work closely with School of Medicine faculty to identify opportunities for developing stories related to published research and other medical/ scientific discovery content.
- Identify trends in the national and scientific/ health care media to keep abreast of current issues. Provide recommendations to place School of Medicine faculty members as experts and ensure stories are being directed to the most appropriate outlets.
- Develop specific marketing and public relations plans and/or events with other departments and oversee the implementation of these projects as necessary, including the development of distribution procedures and contact lists. Ensure database files on assigned materials are kept up to date.
- Identify and implement recommendations for improving return on investment for all media relations and corporate communications initiatives. Drive departmental innovation and performance improvement.
- Contribute in the development and implementation of goals, policies, and fiscal plans for the department. Investigates irregularities and policy violations and implements or assure implementation of corrective action.
- Supervise and mentor the work of all direct reports to ensure effective and efficient departmental functions. Promote positive employee relations and resolves departmental problems.
- Serve as front-line spokesperson for schools and/or programs interacting with the public, the media, and others to enhance the university’s image. Develop and maintain strong working relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as English, journalism, or communications.
Experience: Six (6) years of experience in marketing, public relations, communications, or media, public or client relations. Experience in higher education health care/ medical/ life sciences environment, (eg, agency, university, non-profit or corporation) preferred.
Supervisory Experience: Two (2) years of experience at a management or leadership level.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-30