Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, (Public Relations) Public Affairs
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are currently seeking a Director, Public Affairs to support our U.S. diabetes business, based in Alameda, California. This position will report to the Head of Public Affairs for Abbott’s global diabetes business. All division PA functions have a line reporting relationship to Corporate Public Affairs.
The Public Affairs function for Abbott’s diabetes business has global responsibility for public relations and communications activities for the world-leading sensing technology platform including FreeStyle Libre for people with diabetes and Abbott’s Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor designed for athletic performance.
The successful candidate is passionate about consumer technology and its impact on human health. Seeking a candidate who is a strong storyteller in consumer, tech, and health, and has a proven-track record of top-tier media placements, compelling internal and external content, managing issues, and developing consumer and technology brand PR programming. The candidate will be self-motivated and nimble, thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment, and have experience in supporting and executing successful PR and communications programs. Seeking a candidate with an ability to manage multiple projects across a matrixed organization, experience in working with other PR teams/agencies, and has experience in managing crisis scenarios (proactive and reactive).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead communications for Abbott’s diabetes business in the U.S. Provide strategic counsel to marketing groups, internal/external partners, and leadership on business-related efforts and initiatives for our U.S.
- Develop strategy, plans and counsel to U.S. business leaders and commercial teams. Partner with various stakeholders including regulatory affairs, operations, quality, R&D, HR, government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance and senior management.
- Support the development and execution of external public relations strategies and approaches for key U.S. product launches/filings, key clinical and real-world data, product awareness programs/outreach and influencer programming.
- Oversee PR agency management and/or PR agency selection process as needed.
- Work extensively with top-tier business, technology, lifestyle and consumer reporters (both proactively and reactively) to enhance and protect the company’s reputation as well as advance business objectives.
- Develop compelling consumer-focused storylines, positioning and key messaging for the business.
- Identify and anticipate issues and work with appropriate functions to counsel management on reputation/business impact and influence business decision making process.
- Develop multimedia, content and social and digital strategies to complement key Public Affairs campaigns. Bring to the table an understanding of today’s communications environment amongst earned, owned, social and paid media and how to align and maximize opportunities provided by these channels for Abbott’s glucose sensing technology.
- Set metrics to measure effectiveness of internal and external communication efforts.
- Coach senior divisional executives, businesses, regions and third-party spokespeople on delivery of key messages.
- Support executive communications strategy and development of internal communication materials for the business.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, business, marketing or related field is required.
- 12+ years of experience in public relations, media relations and/or communications, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation.
- Experience in consumer, healthcare, and/or technology communications preferred.
- Consistent track record of excellent professional writing, communications and project management skills.
- Strong experience in developing compelling content for product communications and developing key positioning, messaging, toolkits.
- Strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of top tier media. Proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with U.S. top-tier technology,lifestyle, consumer and business media; experience with international media and media landscapes.
- Experience in working in a regulated environment.
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity, discretion, and a rapid pace of change.
- Experience working with and counseling senior management.
- Exhibits strong judgement and executive presence.
- Experience in crisis communication and exhibits anticipatory thinking.
- Proven experience in leading digital, social media and influencer projects to build brands.
- Understanding of how to work within a matrixed organization and get things done.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and influence others.
- Relationship building: ability to form authentic and effective relationships both inside and outside the organization.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-01