Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Public Relations, U.S. & Canada
Initial Application Review: Friday, January 6th, 2023
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We currently seek a director of public relations to join our public engagement team. In this role you will amplify Mercy For Animals’ mission and brand by setting and guiding U.S. and Canadian public relations and communications strategy, building and leading a team of communications specialists, and managing teams of editors and celebrity-relations professionals.
You will do invaluable work:
- Develop and execute a communications and public-relations strategy for Mercy For Animals in the United States and Canada, which includes envisioning and designing the organization’s media strategy and ensuring our narrative is consistent across all platforms
- Support and manage a celebrity-relations manager and an editor in chief and build out teams of communications specialists in both the United States and Canada
- Maintain insight into the development, distribution, and maintenance of print and electronic content, including our main website, e-newsletter, and blogs, ensuring that they tell a consistent, engaging story for our supporters and that they inspire prospective supporters
- Facilitate or draft external talking points for campaigns, investigations, and official Mercy For Animals statements
- Facilitate or draft op-eds on an ongoing basis and strategically pitch to outlets
- Cultivate productive relationships with mainstream press and maintain consistent media outreach that is timely and engaging
- Ensure that all U.S. and Canadian development teams follow official messaging guidelines
- Pitch Mercy For Animals campaigns, investigations, and videos to news-media outlets
- Track media hits and opportunities in order to provide monthly reports to the organization’s leadership
- Work with mission-aligned organizations and outlets to identify opportunities to advance our shared mission
- Provide media training to key team members as needed
- Discover, facilitate, and provide support for team member interviews with media
- Manage public relations and maximize media opportunities
- Serve as spokesperson and media liaison in the United States and Canada
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our public engagement team to the next level:
- Minimum five years’ experience in public relations, communications, or a related field
- Minimum three years’ management experience, preferably of multidisciplinary teams
- Exceptional written and spoken communication skills—specifically, the ability to distill complex information into an interesting, engaging narrative
- Ability to manage, mentor, and motivate high-performing team members
- Detailed understanding of the news-media industry, experience pitching to the media, and established relationships with the press
- Experience building high-performing teams and a desire to be part of a growing organization and contribute to that growth
- Thorough knowledge of current and emerging media landscapes and social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and YouTube
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams, take direction, demonstrate initiative, and professionally represent Mercy For Animals
- Knowledge of the farmed animal protection movement or an adjacent movement (preferred)
- Support for our vision and ability to professionally advocate our positions
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, Matt, is the vice president of public engagement for the United States and Canada. He has been helping Mercy For Animals build its global brand for over 11 years. Matt values practicing excellent work-life balance, prioritizing professional development, and consistently finding joy in collaboration with his fellow team members.
Matt oversees the creative, video, public relations, and digital engagement teams. Outside Mercy For Animals, he enjoys stamp making, reading, and cuddling with his very adorable fur children.
Compensation and Benefits (exempt)
Earn an annual salary of $96,000–$107,400, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
*Benefits and salary outside the United States will be shared early in the interview process.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
Job posted: 2023-01-03