Director, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs
Outlined specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by all
employees. Essential Functions are not intended to reflect all duties performed.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2010, Oberon Fuels, Inc. (Oberon) is an innovative, CA-based company focused on
challenging the status quo to enhance lives and energize the world. We implement this vision by
converting waste streams, such as dairy manure and pulp mill waste, to innovative, ultra-low-carbon or
carbon-negative fuels — like the versatile, hydrogen-rich molecule known as dimethyl ether (DME). In
May 2021, Oberon began producing the first-ever renewable DME in North America and operates the
only commercial renewable DME production facility globally.
DME is a powerful molecule that can be used to decarbonize transportation in three ways:
1) As a blending agent with propane, which can significantly reduce the carbon intensity of this
commonly-used, clean-burning fuel.
2) As a cost-effective, low-carbon, zero-soot alternative to petroleum diesel.
3) As a cost-effective carrier for hydrogen, making it easy to deliver renewable hydrogen for the
growing hydrogen fuel cell vehicle industry.
As such, Oberon is proud to be part of a growing coalition of forward-looking vehicle manufacturers,
infrastructure developers, and alternative fuel providers who are 100% committed to making DME a
key to the long-term sustainability of our local, national, and global economies.
We are changing the world, one molecule at a time…and looking for additional enthusiastic, capable,
and creative Team Members to help us move our vision forward!
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the CEO, Oberon’s Director of Regulatory and Governmental Affairs will build upon the
company’s successful 10 years of regulatory and legislative work to ensure the necessary regulatory
and legal frameworks are in place in California and elsewhere to support Oberon’s overall strategy to
deploy DME globally as a means to decarbonize transportation.
• This role will:
o Develop and lead, in alignment with Oberon’s management team, Oberon’s regulatory
and governmental affairs strategies.
o Manage Oberon’s contract lobbyists and other consultants on the execution of the
o Work with Oberon’s contract lobbyists and other consultants to represent Oberon before
local, state, and federal policymakers and staff, external stakeholders, and the public.
o Support the work of Oberon’s Commercial Development Team to further develop
Oberon’s market presence.
o Work with Oberon’s contract lobbyists and other consultants to identify and manage
potential state funding opportunities in support of Oberon’s purposes.
• From the leadership/management corner, the ideal candidate will:
o Be able to clearly articulate technical and operational information to a wide variety of
o Have the ability to collaborate across all levels and departments of the organization.
Oberon Director, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs
o Be a self-starter who can work with minimal information to address ambiguous problems.
o Have demonstrated strengths in working in highly cross-functional teams.
REQUIREMENTS: Education, Traits and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree, required. Legal Background is a plus.
• Demonstrated working understanding of California’s legislative and regulatory processes.
• Demonstrated effective leadership working with internal and/or external stakeholders,
coalitions, or partnerships.
• Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience working in the California State
Legislature, Executive Branch (including state agencies), or in local government in a legislative
or regulatory capacity is a plus.
• Experience working in energy, agriculture, transportation, or waste industry sectors is a plus.
• Possess a working knowledge of and/or professional experience working with or in the federal
government or California or other state government on legislative and/or regulatory policies
relating to the energy, oil, or biofuels industries, or other similarly complex regulated industries.
Having a working understanding of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) is a plus.
• Possess strong organizational, multi-tasking, and written and verbal communication skills.
• Have ability to adapt quickly and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Location: Position entails working remotely.
• Travel: Position requires up-to-50% travel inside and outside of CA in a post-COVID world.
• Core traits: Grit, Adaptable, Collaborative, Purpose Driven, Sense of Humor
The Oberon Fuels team is excited about its continued growth and is looking for people to join us in
bringing DME to market to enable cleaner air, increased economic opportunity, and reduced emissions
for all. Please visit our careers page at www.OberonFuels.com. Employment is subject to successful background check and drug testing.
EEO Employer: Oberon Fuels is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected
Job posted: 2021-09-01