Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Research & Policy
Director, Research & Policy
The Manufactured Housing Institute
The Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) represents all segments of the manufactured housing industry, and our 975 member companies provide housing for more than 22 million Americans. We are searching for a skilled researcher and policy analyst who can analyze data sources to help support our advocacy goals as a member of the Policy Team. This dedicated professional will conduct policy analysis and development efforts, assess legislative engagement opportunities, and lead MHI’s data and research endeavors. As such, their work and contributions will fall primarily under two umbrellas: (1) policy & advocacy, and (2) data & research.
Our Director of Research & Policy will play a critical role as MHI focuses our efforts in growing our market by telling our story, engaging our members, and developing our team.
Responsibilities (“What You’ll Do”)
· Track data and research publications, including U.S. Census Bureau data programs and work of other trade associations, analyze data and research, summarize key takeaways, policy implications, and opportunities for engagement.
· Work collaboratively and independently on qualitative and quantitative data and research projects, conduct analysis, and summarize findings, takeaways and implications.
· Manage production and distribution of MHI’s Monthly Economic Report.
· Prepare MHI’s state fact sheets, industry fact sheets, and other regularly updated statistical and data driven reports.
· Identify topics for new research projects, manage and develop proposals.
· Contribute to the design of research projects including the development of conceptual and analytical frameworks for examining manufactured housing and general housing policies, practices and data, and understand the legislative, regulatory, and policy context.
· When necessary, coordinate and supervise research projects of outside consultants.
· Coordinate with MHI members and committees to determine research need
· Assist in formulation of strategy for MHI positioning, advocacy, outreach, and research initiatives to accomplish industry objectives.
· Analyze federal legislative and regulatory issues with the goal of developing MHI positions and communicating them effectively to regulators, legislators, and MHI members.
· Draft updates, reports, letters and other communications, including written materials describing the impact of such matters for policy memos, issue briefs, newsletters, talking points, presentations, advocacy alerts, newsletters, and other content.
· Participate in the planning and development of MHI meetings and other conferences to promote and highlight the work of MHI’s Policy Team.
Skillsets (“What You Bring”)
· Possess a combination of quantitative, analytical, and writing skills, relevant substantive knowledge, and policy research experience needed to perform the duties described above, and the academic knowledge of and research experience in a discipline that is generally associated with public policy, economics, political science, or other similar social science fields.
· Be familiar with (1) federal, state, and local housing and housing finance policies and programs, and (2) the intersections between housing, with an interest in manufactured housing a plus, and related policy areas such as the primary and secondary mortgage market, government housing finance programs, and state and local policies such as zoning.
· Demonstrate the ability to capture and analyze data from internal and external sources.
· Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
· Display a capacity for statistical analysis and a demonstrated ability to translate data into compelling arguments.
· Display strong time management skills and a high level of professionalism.
· Demonstrate a high level of organization and motivation, creativity, and self-confidence; we seek individuals who can work effectively, independently, and simultaneously on multiple projects.
Qualifications (“What You’ve Done”)
· Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, Urban Planning or other social sciences. Master’s degree preferred.
· 5-7 years of experience working in policy analysis and/or research.
· Experience in housing, commercial real estate, or housing finance, is a plus.
· Demonstrated commitment to excellence.
· Knowledge and use of publicly available government data such as, American Communities Survey, HMDA data, and Census data a plus.
We’ll provide a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
Email JaneLuba@verizon.net for more information
Job posted: 2021-12-20